Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 AM

Default It\'s official, I suck at Axs

So, I've been pretty pleased with myself beating .25/.50 for 2BB/100 over 15k hands but come back down to earth when I realize it could have been 2.5/100 if I didn't suck at playing Axs post flop. Those hands has been 50$ loosers. Three examples below that I'd like to have some input on. All are when hitting top pair. I'm planning to post some examples from hitting a pair with the x card later. Assume no reads on opponents.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hand 1:
Semiraggy board and a bet infront. Players to act after me.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

Hand 2:
Coordinated board with a bet infront. Players to act after me.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

Hand 3:
Raggy flop and checked around. I'm last to act.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

ETA: Copy/paste error. Last hand is not really raggy with 2 diamonds.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: It\'s official, I suck at Axs

Raise PF in hand one, raise flop.

Hand three, are you honestly unsure of what to do here? The answer is bet.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 AM

I was probably unclear when I said I wanted some input. What I'd like is also a motivation for suggested action. What is the purpose of raising and betting here? What factors are you considering when making that decision?
Old 07-02-2007, 05:44 AM

raise, raise, bet
for value
Old 07-02-2007, 06:42 AM

Hand 1: Raise preflop, first in from MP. Raise flop for value because there is no indication that you are beat here. Protect your top pair; you want other weak aces to fold.
Hand 2: Raise flop; You have TPNK, but SB's bet might just be a continuation bet.
Hand 3: It has been checked to you. You have top pair and a gutshot draw. Bet for value. If you are behind, you most likely have 5 outs (2 non-diamond fives, 3 non-diamond treys).
Old 07-02-2007, 07:22 AM

Hand 1 : Call the flop bet for now and re-evaluate later.

Hand 2: Clear fold. You are most likely behind SB, drawing to few outs and have another player to worry about.

Hand 3: Bet. No one has shown any strength and you have position. Your hand may be best, and you also have a gut-shot draw to the A-5 straight.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Thanx for the responses. My thoughts in hindsight are:

Hand 1:
This is probably the only hand where call could be ok. Intending to raise the turn. I'm probably way ahead here but raising won't fold another A on this flop.

Hand 2:
I think this is a clear raise. SB could easily bet a K or J and a raise can protect against a GS which is good. Also, pot size looks to be decent in this hand which makes protecting more important.

Hand 3:
I think checking behind is right here. I have 3 opponents and I can't protect my hand against a flush draw. I have a slim edge and things are going to change dramatically on the turn. If I bet and get 1 or 2 callers, anyone with a 4-flush will have the odds to pick one off on the turn. If I check behind on the flop and bet or raise on the turn on a non diamond I can protect my hand better.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 AM

You want to win money, not pots. Bet the flop in hand three, you have a pair of Aces and everyone checked to you.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Hand 1: Don't open limp there. It's raise or fold (sorry for saying it) On the flop, I raise. I'd say there's a better than average chance we're ahead so I want value. Plus if some cards come that I don't like such as a 5 or a 4, I can have the option of checking behind on the river to get to showdown cheaper.

Hand 2: I fold. That flop his a lot of SB's range, so I just give up rather than making it expensive for myself. If I don't fold, I'd prefer to call over raise. Reason being, I'll let SB keep betting with 99/JJ/QQ if he wants to, but if behind, I give myself two cards to with which to suck out (to win or two chop) since I'm looking to showdown at this point. The only reason I see to raise is fold out MP2 unless SB is the kind of player who's gonna pay off on 3 streets with a pair less than aces.

Hand 3: I bet and I don't think it's close.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3:
I think checking behind is right here. I have 3 opponents and I can't protect my hand against a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you can't. But you can still take money from a flush draw now.