Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Borg 10/20 Steal Attempt

Finally forced myself back to Borg for a short session.

Early on in the game, several chops no real excitement. I look down at A8o from a few off the button and raise it up. Button cold calls and SB three towns it. I think 'I'm Screwed' but call anyway as does button.

Flop
JJ7
SB checks, I check, Button pulls a 'WTF I have to bet'

Heres where it kinda gets interesting. SB thinks painfully for awhile and finally drops his hand which I'm thinking to be AK or better. Leaving me facing a most likely stab at the pot. I call.

Turn completely bricks.
I lead with little hesitation

Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Borg 10/20 Steal Attempt

CR flop hothothot
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CR flop hothothot

[/ QUOTE ] then lead the turn
Old 07-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Without knowing anything about the button or the table it's hard to give the correct response to this post. That said I think your donk is okay in the sense that at worse it is a 0-EV move to slightly positive expectation. I weigh buttons range very heavy toward the PP's here. SB's flop check is either a monster or AK. Maybe a decent PP that doesn't want to have to deal with a bluff raise. I doubt button would bet the flop with UI overcards very often as SB rarely folds to a positional bet IMO.

Now will the button fold his PP to your donk as it looks like you fear the check through. Again hard to say without a read, but I think between that posibility and the small chance he made a positional bet with air we should be at the nuetral mark.

This is of course the last $$ you're putting into this pot.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:15 AM

I hadn't seen the button get out of line up to that point and for the most part most hands weren't getting showed down. This hand was probably less than an hour into the must move game and I think the table just filled in from 6 handed not too long before.

The reason I didnt CR the flop was I was kind of shocked that the SB folded so instead of thinking that hard I just threw 2 chips out. I was fully expecting SB to at least call.

With 120 in the pot, my turn bet seemed automatic at the time even without playing live in over half a year.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM

I'm just curious about something else - do you really think this is a game in which steals are going to be worthwhile?

When I have played in the game it seems very hard to steal the blinds, and the tables are easily beatable through fairly straightforward play after that. While I understand "making moves" can be profitable, and maybe even necessary, in tougher games, I guess I just don't really see the point in the 10/20 Borgata games I have played.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just curious about something else - do you really think this is a game in which steals are going to be worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends alot on the lineup and how the game is being played. When the table I was at started, we were 6 handed with over half being black card regulars just starting the morning off. It loosened up some but I got moved into the main game and quit before it really got loose like most of the games get towards Fri/Sat and later into Sun.

The way that game was, you would definitly be leaving money on the table if you weren't taking advantage of steal situations. Even when called preflop, continuation bets took the pot down a good amount. But if the blinds aren't the type to give up easy I tend to not raise as light as I normally would.

Most of the loose 10/20 games it goes back to raising for value instead of expecting the blinds to drop out.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:18 PM

When I have played in the 10/20 it has sometimes been pretty tight preflop as in only 3 people seeing the flop, but it still seems like those 3 will see it regardless of it being raised, and will call bets with a small pair all the way to the river.

So did the postflop move on the paired board work? I think it does seem like a nice move, I would just suspect it is hard to get people to fold there even if they didn't connect.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When I have played in the game it seems very hard to steal the blinds, and the tables are easily beatable through fairly straightforward play after that. While I understand "making moves" can be profitable, and maybe even necessary, in tougher games, I guess I just don't really see the point in the 10/20 Borgata games I have played.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The AC 10-20 game offers so many opportunities to make money when the villains are drawing slim to dead that pursuing this edges is tough. Specially as the players are willing to call with such a wide range.

Now at the higher limits itis different.