Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Venetian $540 DS - 2 early 2 shove?

I recently returned from a WSOP + VDS trip where my fun was >>> than my luck. I was amazed to find that in both the $500 Deep Stack at the V and the $1,500 WSOP event (#35) the play was pretty bad & much worse than what I had anticipated.

Anyway, to the hand in question -

Set-up:

2nd level of the VDS (50/100 no ante). 10K to start & Hero has ~13.5K due to a few small ball victories and blatant aggression when no one else showed any interest in the pot post flop. THe only hand shown down was 54 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] vs. a FPS TT where I rivered 2 pr on a 3 7 5, 2, 4 board. I limped on the button after 4-5 limpers, villian had TT in the BB and checked. I bet the pot when checked to & villian flat called (?!?). He check/called the turn when I bet ~50% of the pot, and I checked behind on the turn since I was almost certain he had the A. Go figure, but that's how bad the play was.

The Hand:

Hero has 13.5K and 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button. 4 limpers @ 100 so I limp as well looking for a set. SB limps but BB raises to 600. All fold to me where its 500 into a pot of 1200. I call.

Read:

Villian is a tight local rock - very typical of the stereotype you find in any 2-4 or 3-6 cash limit table. He looks the part and for ~1.25 hours, has played the part. He has AA-JJ or AK here >80% of the time. He also has just over 10K in chips. Given that situation, I'm pretty sure my call was justified. Plus, I really don't like limping and then folding. Its a nasty habit.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Villian bets $1K straight. Hero ???

As I don't get to play very many deep stack MTTs, I'd appreciate your reasoning as much as your action here. I'll post a follow-up this evening.

Beachman