Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Default JJJ----Gas or Brakes?

No reads on Villain yet. I didn't raise the flop because I decided to go for an overcall on this ragged board. So which is it here? Gas or brakes?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (16.20 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero......
Old 07-01-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: JJJ----Gas or Brakes?

If you aren't losing a lot of bets with flopped sets, you aren't playing them right.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No reads on Villain yet. I didn't raise the flop because I decided to go for an overcall on this ragged board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have fastplayed the flop because I don't expect an overcall very often on the ragged board, plus you might get bonus action from preflop capper who will have an overpair somewhat often.

I probably freeze up even though it's not likely for villain to have AK. I don't like it when I cap the turn and villain still leads into me on the river (well, at least not when I don't have the nuts). With no read, it's not clear to me whether UTG+1 might overplay AA/KK or if his hand is now basically QQ.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:15 PM

I just call and get a read. I think we did get sucked out on.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:21 PM

Raise the flop
Old 07-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Although i hate slowplaying anything 99% of the time, i think that your attempt to get over calls isnt horrible. I still like playing this fast on flop though. Get a lot of money in the pot while villain still thinks he is good. Unlikely to get an over call from UTG+1 unless u know he is loose. Just calling and springing to life on turn may give away strength of hand. You may have gotten run down on river, but easy call. you are easily good enough times here.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Yea, looking back, I agree and think it was an error to go for the overcall on the flop. However, how would you play the river?
Old 07-01-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, looking back, I agree and think it was an error to go for the overcall on the flop. However, how would you play the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, you're dead to a great big bunch of a normal person's 3-bet range.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but most of the hands we are dead to seem unlikely given villains action on previous streets. About the only hand that I see villain holding that beats us is QQ. He could also be overplaying KK and AA. Surely not a flush or straight, look at his previous action. Why can't we raise this for value?