Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Default final table 20/180, A-rag on KKJA board facing an all in bet..

final table of a 20/180 man. villain had been quite loose, calling a lot of raises and raising a lot. i have a TAG image, and my pf raises had been getting respect and not been getting called.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t130524)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t89403)</font>
UTG (t8699)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t41374)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t4000.

Flop: (t11450) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t8000</font>, BB calls t8000.

Turn: (t27450) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t27000</font>, Hero cries and doesn't know what to do???????

preflop, i'm just hoping to take it down w/ my raise. unfortunately i get a caller, and i fire a C bet. then an A comes on the turn....
my question is, is it worth it to call and hope for a chop here? if i fold i'm left w/ ~26k chips and an M of 5. he pretty much instachecked the flop. i'm pretty sure he doesn't have AJ-AK, as he prob. would've reraised me pf. haven't seen him float many flops because there hadn't been much postflop play. so again, is it worth it to call here, hoping for a chop?

note: i know that the shortstack is going to be in a blind next hand. it has been pointed out i should just muck till shorty busts, but i'm not looking to climb up the pay ladder, i'm looking to win.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: final table 20/180, A-rag on KKJA board facing an all in bet..

To me it looks like this guy has air. If he had an A, a K or QT he would probably go for a check-raise allin, it looks lik he is taking his opportunity to bluff. By the way I might have just folded this hand preflop or shoved it because of your low M.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:53 PM

I'd probably fold. You lose to Ax, Kx, a straight and JJ.

What do you beat? bluff, maybe another pp. But how likely is that?
Old 07-01-2007, 04:58 PM

You don't loose to Ax the board has paired with a J kicker. Yeah you loose to Kx a straight and JJ, but we are 4 handed, so the possibility of his hand hitting the board gets smaller. Could you give me an explanation why villain would bet out here? Every hand that beats hero would probably go for a check-raise allin to take him to valuetown. I read it for a bluff or semibluff (low PP or Jx!!) so I call.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Well the 4th to 3rd pay jump is pretty substantial, and is something to be considered in marginal situations (like this hand PF...I may very well fold this PF, espeically if the big stacks in the blinds have been playing back at me a lot.) However, once you're in the hand you just have to play it, don't put 40% of your stack in, then fold the best hand to try and get third. I can't understand why he'd donk the turn like that. I mean the bet has tremendous FE, and he has to know that, so why do it with a hand that has you beat. Maybe he thinks you have an A and will pay off the bet now, but he's scared if a Q or T come on the river that 1) you'll be ahead or 2) it'll spook you. I'd be interested in reading some other responses, I'm really not sure what I'd do here. I guess during the hand I'd call, but a K, or straight afraid of a boat, is looking more plausible the longer I think about it.