Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Healthcare/ Michael Moore..

I watched an interview that Michael Moore did with Larry King about the US healthcare system and his upcoming documentary. For the most part I like Moore but I think a lot of people just look at US healthcare as being this big ugly monster, when the fact is a lot of good things come from it.

One point I'd like to make, is that when comparing other countries like france and Canada to the US, I don't think its fair because its likely that a lot of the technology they use is generated from the US economy.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Healthcare/ Michael Moore..

The more you try to control it, the worse it gets. The govt has been involved with centralized control of health care for over 40 years. And everytime something seems to go wrong, they slap on more and more control. Now Moore wants full state control. There is only one possible outcome if this happens.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:48 PM

I watched the interview as well. As usual, Moore goes on shows like this where he is interviewed by a like-minded host and the only guest, so there is nobody to challenge him.

One thing that I found totally bizare was his response to a question by King. Apparently he was scheduled to debate former Congressman and current pharmaceutical rep Billy Tauzin on ABC. For some reason Tauzin pulled out and ABC invited Tom Delay to debate Moore. Moore then cancelled the debate. When asked why, he stated that Delay asked for a copy of "Sicko." Moore said something to the effect that no movie studio would give a copy of their movie to a felon, and therefore he wouldn't debate Delay. WTF?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of people just look at US healthcare as being this big ugly monster, when the fact is a lot of good things come from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like most things, there are pluses and minuses to both sides of various policies, as much as some people try to misrepresent them to be black and white. I'm not particularly against socialized medicine, but I have no patience for Michael Moore because he represents these issues in such myopic, polarizing ways.

I agree with you that technological growth that other countries benefit from is one argument in favor of privatized medicine. Along the same lines, Canadians with money can travel to the US to benefit from privatized medicine when it's convenient. There's really no reason to be surprised by the lifespan disparity; but that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't still merits to privatization.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 PM

I saw his movie and it had a lot of BS in it (make sure you read up on it after or before you see it)...But, there are flaws and problems with the American system but much better than most others
Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw his movie and it had a lot of BS in it (make sure you read up on it after or before you see it).

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like this:
Analysis: 'Sicko' numbers mostly accurate; more context needed (from CNN website)
Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 AM

I'll said it once and I'll say it again. Wacko Moore supporters attacked the college republicans at my school when he visited.

I actually liked his gun movie, now he is full of himself.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 AM

I think the problem is due primarily to government regulations... you have to do this and this and this and this to become a doctor