Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Poker After Dark discussion thread (Fri-Sat 6-29/30 - Queens and Kings

Since these threads seem have ground to a halt with all the excitement happening, this thread will combine Friday's show (down to 3: Kaplan, Gazes and Lederer) with Saturday's "Director's Cut" show, where they show the big hands from the week with interviews.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Poker After Dark discussion thread (Fri-Sat 6-29/30 - Queens and Kings

I've only seen Kaplan play a few hands on HSP when he took Negreanu's seat, but I was really impressed by him on this show. He correctly analyzed Lederer's push on the river trying to rep a boat, and he didn't fold under the pressure of Gazes's hyper aggressive heads-up play. Or maybe he's just a calling station?? More observation needed!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Poker After Dark discussion thread (Fri-Sat 6-29/30 - Queens and K

Why didn't howard go in for the stackAdonk against gazes in the 555 vs 9910 hand? The table talk after was pretty amusing.

And whats with the ridiculous 6 and above xBB preflop raises? Has the table been playing this way the whole week?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 AM

Can't really complain much. Ali didn't use his annoying signature phrase and the poker was still interesting enough to keep me awake.

Nice calls by Gabe. He's usually a calling station anyway, so I wasn't surprised- yet, I'm not so sure I would have done as well. I also liked Gabe's funny comments about Ali's playing his set of 4's. Mr. Kotter had all the answers this morning.

Even though the heads-up play was typical, at least it was with Gabe and Kristy, instead of complete bores, like Allen Cunningham and John Juanda.

New PAD episodes resume in September, but I think I've seen enough of these PAD players already, and so I'm not really curious enough to follow as closely as I have so far. Still, I'm glad I watched and hope they are eventually able to get more fresh faces to the table.

Thanks to NBC, for adding Shana Hiatt and poker, to their late-night schedule. And yes, Shana's more important.[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM

If you were going to skip tonight's Director's cut of PAD, I would strongly urge you to at least tune in to see Gabe's (4 minute) interview with Shana at the end. He starts off very funny, then gets informative and then closes with a final sentence that was perfect. Shana helped out as well. I will NOT mention anything else about his interview (NOT even in the Spoiler), because I don't want you to kill me. So, just watch it for yourself and ENJOY!

The below spoiler will ONLY mention: tonight's voice-over announcer, the 9 hands discussed in tonight's episode (I might have missed one?-I was changing channels during the Nascar Busch race) and of course, Shana's boobies-not really, I just like typing it. Boobies, boobies, boobies. You know I mean her bloopers. It's spoiler time.

Tonight's Director's Cut SPOILER:<font color="white">

The voice-over announcer for the entire episode was Dan Gotti (he also did episode #1 this week).

Hands discussed:

1) Gabe's set vs. Ali's set (all-in).

2)Vanessa's K-10 suited vs. Howard's A-J.

3)Gabe's pocket 5's vs. Kristy's A-4 (with 3 aces on the board-giving her quads).

4)Vanessa's K-7 vs. Duke's A-10 suited.

5) Kristy's pocket Aces vs. Duke's A-7 (all-in).

6)Howard's A-9 vs. Vanessa's K-7 suited (all-in).

7)Gabe's K-Q vs. Howard's J-9 suited.

8) Howard's 6-2 suited (all-in) vs. Gabe's Q-7 suited.

9)Gabe's K-8 vs. Kristy's Q-7 suited (all-in + final hand)

Although Shana's (1 minute) bloopers were the weakest of the last three week's , I still chuckled at a few of them. So cute. I'd love to pinch her sweet cheeks. Get your minds out of the gutter! Cue the reruns. </font>
Old 07-01-2007, 04:35 AM

lol at Gazes saying that she didn't know how to play the quad aces against Gabe's full house because she never gets quads. So she did make a little on them like a good player would.

Didn't she have quads against Chad Brown heads up? IIRC she played them badly there too.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at Gazes saying that she didn't know how to play the quad aces against Gabe's full house because she never gets quads. So she did make a little on them like a good player would.

Didn't she have quads against Chad Brown heads up? IIRC she played them badly there too.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that episode of NBC HUP the board had quads and she had a brain fart and forgot that the kicker still plays she so bet out and Chad, who had the nuts with the A in his hand inexplicable only called. By doing that he made himself look like a fool but can you imagine how much worse it would have been for Gazes if he had gone AI and she called and then had to be told that the kicker plays. D'oh!
Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 PM

I know how she feels though. Run kind of uneven for a 20k hands or so, flop a boat and suddenly have no idea how to bet it.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Gabe basically said he didnt play as many tournaments these days because of young players (read: idiot internet players) who pushed all in too much preflop with hands like 66 or 77.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 PM

Yeah Gazes had flopped Quads with JJ during the Aussie Millions (final table?) as well.

As for Gabe being a calling station, that's not the truth. He is very calm, never gives away a bit too much, and made a lot of nice laydowns with second pair.

I loved how he played J9 vs. Vanessa Rousso, as well as how he slowplayed top and medium pair in HU quite a couple of times and made the right calls/folds.

It's no doubt that Kaplan can't compete with Guys like Patrick Antonius or Daniel Negreanu, but at this table he had quite a fair chance to take it down, and he did.