Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Ask a Latino

After being inspired by holyfield's post on asking a black man (urban edition), I thought it might be a good idea to do a similar post for Latinos. Not sure if there's interest or not, but would be willing to answer any questions.

I do ask that you refrain from saying anything blatantly offensive (troll elsewhere). Just liked the concept for Latinos as well (we need love too).

Fire away
Old 06-29-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Ask a Latino *DELETED*

Post deleted by Gildwulf
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Ask a Latino

Yeah, that's a problem. I think a lot of people perceive that Latinos are all illegal immigrants. I had someone say the same thing when I was talking Spanish to my mom. I think illegal immigrants contribute more to this country at times than legal citizens FWIW. I've got lots of people I know who would LOVE to be legal, but immigration law is so messed up they don't stand a chance. Blame the system, don't blame people trying to make better lives for themselves.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Do you believe the American government has the right to decide who immigrates in the US?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Where in the US do you live, and do you feel like people are racist/discriminate towards you? I am just curious because I live in NY (which is fairly non-racist, as the US goes) and am white (which is fairly impossible to be the butt of racism or discrimination if you're white) so I wonder about these sorts of things.

Also, do you drink Dos Equis (amber obv) and if so isn't it much better than Corona?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM

Why do latinas have the best cho-cha?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:34 PM

What is your national origin? are you Mexican or from somewhere else?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why don't you go back where you came from? <font color="white">kidding, I love the Latinos </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's a problem. I think a lot of people perceive that Latinos are all illegal immigrants. I had someone say the same thing when I was talking Spanish to my mom. I think illegal immigrants contribute more to this country at times than legal citizens FWIW. I've got lots of people I know who would LOVE to be legal, but immigration law is so messed up they don't stand a chance. Blame the system, don't blame people trying to make better lives for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't people enter the country legally and, if they can't, shouldn't they try finding work elsewhere?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe the American government has the right to decide who immigrates in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, but they need to change the current laws so that more people can have the means to becoming LEGAL residents. I know immigration is a hot political topic and I get really annoyed when I hear people getting defensive about "their country". O RLY? You never had any relatives who immigrated to this country looking for a better life?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where in the US do you live, and do you feel like people are racist/discriminate towards you? I am just curious because I live in NY (which is fairly non-racist, as the US goes) and am white (which is fairly impossible to be the butt of racism or discrimination if you're white) so I wonder about these sorts of things.

Also, do you drink Dos Equis (amber obv) and if so isn't it much better than Corona?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Wisconsin and it's overwhelmingly Caucasian here. Luckily, I'm light-skinned and people don't pick up on it. I feel like people treat me like I'm white but I've had people get really uncomfortable when I speak Spanish or meet my more dark-skinned friends. I think racism is rarely overt these days (few people are throwing bricks at racial minorities) and more subtle (I walk by a car with my friends and I can hear the driver lock the doors....)

I'm not much of a drinker, but when I go to Mexico I drink Dos Equis.... but real Mexicans will like you more if you know more about tequila [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]