Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 06:02 PM

Default mid stage: facing all in over bet with strong draw

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

SB (t13003)
BB (t10745)
UTG (t10006)
UTG+1 (t5588)
MP1 (t5500)
MP2 (t21540)
Hero (t13155)
Button (t10705)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K, Q.
4 folds</font>, Hero raises to t1555</font>, Button calls t1555, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>.

Flop: (t3460) J, T, 2 (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, [color=#CC3333]Button bets t9100 (All-In)</font>,

Okay so I have been playing pretty tag although I have reshoved on the button a few times at the table. The villian was very passive preflop but aggressive postflop after like 70 hands (his pt numbers were 15/2/3.5) but other then that I didnt notice a whole lot about his game. I checked the flop planning to shove the villians bet or get a free card and lead at most turn cards if the villian check flop behind me. However, he shoves, put me in a tough spot becuase I still have 19 bbs and the bubble wasnt for about 15-20 more players. Really tough decision because of my chip stack i think if i had around 10-12 bbs its prolly an easy call and if i had closer to 30bb+ im prolly also calling due to my stack size not being totally devistated by the call. Anyways what do u guys think? Also given villians image, is check raise the best line or should i have led out?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: mid stage: facing all in over bet with strong draw

seems like a fold
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM

If the guy has AT or J9 you still have the odds to call, but obviously we can't exclude any better hands from his range, he might be taking advantage of his image, so yeah a fold is good; though a call wouldn't be really so gross as it may look.

On this flop I like to bet out, because if he shoves then our decision is a whole lot easier (call). I don't mind the check-raise idea though, giving him a piece of his own style, also I wouldn't mind putting him all-in on the flop. Seems like this is really the worst case scenario for your...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 PM

I like the CRAI idea. My instant reaction to these spots is always fold, but it's very close and the fact that King high is maybe good 10%+ of the time might tip the balance in favour of calling. Meh just invented some range for villian fairly randomly and got 41% eq for you which makes it =ev ish. I disagree with the idea that you should be a lot more willing to call if you had the villian well covered and your stack wouldn't be devasted by losing, though.