Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Default 98o in BB vs LAG

Villain is 50/25/1.5

He steals from CO or Button at almost every opportunity, and likes to bluffraise on scare cards.

Full Tilt Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Is this OK vs this type of player? Should I be c/c or b/f the river, or is b/c OK?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Re: 98o in BB vs LAG

given your read, you have to showdown, even though the Q is a bad card; he may read your c/r as what it is, a marginal made hand (to him most likely a J or 8) and be trying to take you off it. so as played, I would call the river raise.

unless you have seen villain call down pretty light (A-high, small pair) I would probably c/c river, however, trying to induce a bluff.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably c/c river, however, trying to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like inducing a bluff from such an agressive opponent, especially since betting this hand for value is pretty thin.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM

If your read is that villain is just as willing to bluff-raise his hands as he is to bluff when checked to here, B/C is superior to C/C because you want value off hands you beat that he just wants to showdown too. Some villains don't bluff raise and I would save the c/c line for them. Given the drawiness of the board, I think that this hand is played perfectly. Sure, T9 got there, but a number of draws also missed.

As a point of advice, you might want to leave the action as Hero bets on the river and ask whether people are intending to fold or call. The way it's stated now may cause some results-oriented thinking.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like inducing a bluff from such an agressive opponent, especially since betting this hand for value is pretty thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given hero's read on villian I think it's probably higher EV to lead and hope that villian bluffs.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:45 PM

guys if we hadn't already seen that villain raises the river would we still be advocating c/c ?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys if we hadn't already seen that villain raises the river would we still be advocating c/c ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably so, but we'd still be wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Given that Hero's read on villain includes that he's prone to raising the river on scare cards, bet/call in indeed the better option when the Q falls on the river. Without that piece of info, check/call would be best irregardless of whether or not we'd seen that villain did raise the river (because we know that villain is quite loose and very aggressive).
Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given hero's read on villian I think it's probably higher EV to lead and hope that villian bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would require Villain to raise (when he does raise) on the river with &lt; a pair of 8s 51% of the time to be profitable, would it not?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:42 PM

Is Villain someone who doesn't even need a draw to call a ck/raise on the flop and then call your turn bet?
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would require Villain to raise (when he does raise) on the river with &lt; a pair of 8s 51% of the time to be profitable, would it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on whether he'll check through his weakest pairs if you check.