Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Small Home Game talking during a hand

I host a small nl 25 game with 5 of my friends that's very casual because most of them don't really know anything about poker. Obviously it's wrong if someone folds out of turn, but as long as it's not a regular occurence, I don't really care. One of my friends though has a habit of talking to another player during a hand and if its bet to him and asking if they're going to fold or call. Now I've told him he can't do it, but he says that they don't have to answer him. What would be the best way to explain that its collusion?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Small Home Game talking during a hand

I'm assuming you're refering to a situation where more than two players are involved in the hand. Like Players A, B and C where Mr. Question is player B. Player A bets and the action is to Mr. Question with Player C still to act after him and he asks player C what he is planning to do.

First I'm not sure there is really anything wrong with this. If player C is dumb enough to answer then thats his fault. But I can also see a situation where some players do answer him due to their inexperience, especially if they're going to fold as they don't really care about the hand, or it's outcome, any longer.

And it's not collusion. That would be if 2 (or more) players were acting together. Usually they try to do this covertly. I can see how this could be construed that way if it routinely happens with the same two players.

My advice, since I feel it is okay for him to ask this question is to advise all the players that they are not to act on their hand until it is their turn. This includes physical as well as verbal actions. Since it's not their turn yet they are forbidden from answering. Not they don't have to answer but forbidden from answering. By answering they are acting out of turn. And any action out of turn is bad for the game overall.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I've told him he can't do it, but he says that they don't have to answer him. What would be the best way to explain that its collusion?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell him that he is trying to gain an unfair advantage. He is screwing the player that bet because that player didn't know if others are going to fold to his bet or not. Why should Mr. Question gain that extra info?

As well, if the player does answer, then a rule is broken so why even ask the question. Tell him to work on physical tells for people who are going to fold. That's the way real poker players play.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:48 PM

Yes, I play at a friendly game, and we're all fairly experienced, but sometimes we'll fold out of turn, and nobody really cares. That being said, if you're the host, house rules. If he doesn't stop doing it, tell him he's not welcome back. No hard feelings, but you think it detracts from the game. Or find more experienced players for the game.