Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Default I Want To Quit.

I am a winning player (netted 10k in my lifetime, was up almost 30k at one point, though) but since post-legislation I just can't manage my money. I dont know what it is, but the slightest things tilt me and I go to the highest stakes available.

I've been able to manage money before and build up a roll with the occasional tilt sessions, but it's just not working. I feel like an addictive gambler (i KNOW im compulsive) who has this never-ending pipe dream of making it big again. I constantly build up my roll only to do something stupid and lose it again. The only thing that keeps me from quitting is the fact that I have managed money well before, and the fact that I know for a fact (Pokertracker) I can make 30-40/hr at the small stakes.

I'm just not sure how to quit, because even 30-40/hr would be good to me. I'm a college student and would like to have extra spending money (I have 6k left to my name) to take trips and whatever. I work but it's not enough to actually do stuff with aside from buy food and random stuff.

I have a lot of other interests and the rest of my life is healthy, I'd say. I love my life as a whole. I just think that money from poker would make my life that much better. My problem is that I simply tilt, despite the fact that I have controlled my tilt before.

sure, I CAN manage my money and probably build a roll again, but i DONT.

im just not sure where to go. I've taken breaks, but I have the same tilt problem since post-legislation. I'm thinking that maybe I should abandon this site cold turkey--you haven't really quit poker if you're still at 2+2.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: I Want To Quit.

If you can't hack it, just quit. Maybe you need a poker-playing support group. Luckily for me my wife plays poker too so she helps me avoid chip-spewing tilt sessions, especially since she is much calmer than I.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM

I feel for ya. If you really feel that poker is taking away from your healthy life (not nec. finacially) maybe you should give it up for some peace of mind. But I think that as long as you're playing for a profit that you shoud keep at it, maybe just try to cut down a little. I know you said that you're compulsive by nature and that might make cutting down pretty hard, but honestly if your not loosing money, friends, familiy, I'd say keep playing. Everyone has vices, yours just happens to be profitable.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:29 PM

i think you should really try to control your tilt if you really wanna keep playing for good winnings. if tilt is your only problem you simply have a tough challenge of discipline. what i would recommend is take a break for about 2 weeks or whenever you think your break has been long enough, then try to play with a completely different mindset(not easy to do). first off you have to know when your on tilt; i just read another post a few minutes ago that made a lot of sense - if you want revenge, if you are anxious, upset, just went broke - you are likely on tilt. the only way out of tilting (in my opinion) is to simply force yourself to stop playing when you know your off your game. close the software, take a walk, get some ass, go workout, do something else until you feel like you can play solid again and dont play until then...even if its another few days. im to the point where im getting better at recognizing these feelings and i simply quit, now i have no desire to play when im playing badly...mainly because i have lots of experience tilting online [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

it takes practice but anyone can overcome this with effort
Old 06-29-2007, 03:43 PM

try and find a friend to play with and agree to keep each other in check. Imagine how many stupid hands you have played that you wouldnt have played had someone been looking over your shoulder
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just not sure how to quit, because even 30-40/hr would be good to me. I'm a college student and would like to have extra spending money (I have 6k left to my name) to take trips and whatever. I work but it's not enough to actually do stuff with aside from buy food and random stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

So u are saying that u are a winning player, but u tilt easy? Yet u want to keep playing because u have won money in the past and u have the stats to prove that u are able to win money and beat micro stakes. Go back to your roots and remember how u were able to move up limits and remember how u won all that money in the past. If u keep losing/getting outdrawn/getting played back at, leave that table. If u do not feel comfortable at the limit u are at, swallow your pride and move down until u feel comfortable. Remember u are playing to make money, not lose it, u have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself. So just because u WERE playin 400nl plus, and now are playing 50nl does not make u lesser of a player. U know how u got back down to microstakes and it is on U to realize how to move back up. If u lose a couple buyins in a short period of time, just bag the session and get your head together, look over your big hands and see if u made the right moves. It always sucks to have to move down, but u gotta do what u gotta do to maintain a winrate and not be a donater. If u say u have the skillz than prove it to yourself. IMO bankroll management is the key to a winning player and that seems to be a major leak for u. Work on that, stop tilting and throwing more money away, that is just a downward spiral as well which has already been explained in the above posts.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Forget about online poker for a month and play B&M exclusively.
I find it to be the best tilt management therapy ever.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Give up.

The i'm good but not good because i tilt excuse is the lamest out there.

Part of being a competent player is being in control of your emotions, without that you'll never be anything...not just in poker but life.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 AM

Ask one of the mods here for a month long temp ban. Do something other than play poker.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM

I'm at a similar crossroads. I think that just taking a break for 2-3 months would be the best for me, but I just can't seem to get totally away from it.