Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Anthony Reyes (0-10)

Will Anthony Reyes lose 20 games? Is he really that bad? Are his numbers kind of deceiving?

I don't believe he is as bad as his record or his 6.70 ERA. The Cards probably don't either.

Opp Avg. is a reasonable but not great .270
68 hits in 64 IP. Also not particularly horrendous, without looking this is probably better than Maddux. 3.3 BB/9 a little high. Giving up a jack every 8 innings, also not that terrible.

So, whats going on? I haven't seen any of his starts. Some Cards fans can chime in here.

I would assume he has no ability to control damage.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Anthony Reyes (0-10)

what's his BABIP?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:19 PM

On an interesting sidenote, I just looked up Anthony Young's career stats. How on Earth did he manage to go 1-16 with a 3.77 ERA in '93? 15-48 w/ 3.89 over his career.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:23 PM

As a Mets fan, I haven't seen much of the Cards this year /JoeMorgan

but have you seen the lineup they've been trotting out? It's like a slumping Pujols + 7 guys who aren't even as good as David Eckstein.

Just checked mlb.com. 28th in MLB in runs scored. I think we have an answer.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Anthony Reyes owns. He'll be fine.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:25 PM

like i said in the mets thread, this is way worse than maroth's season a few years back with the tigers...poor guy...
Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM

Nate Silver had an interesting comment on reyes in his chat the other day on BP:

[ QUOTE ]
brianjamesoak (Alameda, CA): Thanks for the chat, Nate. Anthony Reyes's peripheral stats look fine, even the homerun rate. Why is he getting knocked around?

Nate Silver: It seems like every time I turn the TV on Reyes is down 5-0 in the first inning. He doesn't miss bats -- just 19% of his strikeouts have been of the swinging variety, as compared to a league average of 22% -- and it seems like most of his strikeouts are just the result of his nibbling a whole lot and hoping for the best. And he has to nibble because he's going to get creamed if he works in the middle of the zone. I think he could be a league-average starter if he played in a big park like San Diego -- otherwise, he's fringy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen him pitch enough in person to really have an opinion. I was high on him coming into the season based on last years peripherals and his minor league numbers, but now, not so much.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nate Silver had an interesting comment on reyes in his chat the other day on BP:

[ QUOTE ]
brianjamesoak (Alameda, CA): Thanks for the chat, Nate. Anthony Reyes's peripheral stats look fine, even the homerun rate. Why is he getting knocked around?

Nate Silver: It seems like every time I turn the TV on Reyes is down 5-0 in the first inning. He doesn't miss bats -- just 19% of his strikeouts have been of the swinging variety, as compared to a league average of 22% -- and it seems like most of his strikeouts are just the result of his nibbling a whole lot and hoping for the best. And he has to nibble because he's going to get creamed if he works in the middle of the zone. I think he could be a league-average starter if he played in a big park like San Diego -- otherwise, he's fringy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen him pitch enough in person to really have an opinion. I was high on him coming into the season based on last years peripherals and his minor league numbers, but now, not so much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would love to know if Mr. Silver, or anyone else, is on record as having this belief about Anthony Reyes's future before he started 0-10 on a poor offensive team this year. He was BA's top STL prospect for both '05 and '06. Now all of a sudden he's lucky to have a rotation spot if he pitches in Petco?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:43 PM

Anthony Reyes' big problem is Dave Duncan. Duncan insists on making him throw a two seam fastball, which is around 88-90 mph. His four seamer is around 95 mph. When Reyes throws his two seam, he nibbles because he doesn't have any confidence in it. He wants to rear back and throw his four seamer. Duncan wants Reyes (and I swear I'm not making this up) to pitch to contact and not try to K every hitter. WTF???

They were talking about this during the broadcast last night. When Reyes goes down to AAA, he throws his 4 seam and dominates. When he comes up, Duncan tries to make him into a sinkerballer and he gets shelled one inning per game. So as soon as Duncan gets over himself and lets Reyes pitch, you'll start seeing good results.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM

link? Sounds silly.