Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Does credit card *conversion* count as closing account?

I heard that I can convert my Chase card that I got just before college to a rewards Freedom card simply by calling in and asking for it. i'm currently gainfully employed, about to start making more-than-double-payments on my consolidated student loan, auto-debiting the car payment, and never having missed or made a a less-than-full payment on my credit card.

(they wouldn't let me consolidate it for 10 yrs for the purpose of locking in rate / convenience, so they made it a 20 yr loan...which i plan to pay off in 10 or less as it is my highest interest debt at around 6.625%, with extra income after Roth IRA and full-401k match are made)
Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Does credit card *conversion* count as closing account?

Forgot to add my question: Will this hurt my credit score? Should I just open a new card altogether? The current card is over 5 years old, but only really has 11 months of real history (probably average about $150 a month since i realized i should use my credit card)
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Does credit card *conversion* count as closing account?

If the card you would be converting is your oldest/only card at the moment, you REALLY don't want to risk losing it. So just open a new account. Why would you not just open a new one anyway?