Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Am I the only pot head here?

I was wondering. I go to the gym usually either 5 or 6 times a week and lift for about 45 minutes. I run 30-35 miles a week, usually around 6 miles per day at a little under 8 minute/mile pace. I also smoke weed every day. Like a lot. I go through an ounce in a little less than 2 weeks on average. And recently in the last few months, I've smoked BEFORE lifting and running like 95% of the time. None of my friends I know do this. In fact just about all my pot head friends are really lazy like I was in college. But about a year and a half ago I started getting into high school shape again and dropped over 50 pounds but somehow managed to keep smoking pot.

For the record, I think I like smoking before going for a run. I kind of space out and forget how tired I am, which is good. Also I get into the music I'm listening to more. However, smoking before lifting is probably dumb, and certainly doesn't help.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Am I the only pot head here?

I have had friends that do exactly what you do and they were in good shape too.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:24 AM

im 17, go to the gym fairly frequently, and smoke pot every day. i don't like smoking before working out, i can't lift as much and when im playing bball i get really bad cotton mouth. however, if im not at the gym, im probably high. I'm extremely skinny - 6'2" 150lbs - and often eat under maitenance calories anyways, so I need all appetite-stimulation I can get.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 AM

Thats so far to run
Old 06-30-2007, 11:05 PM

Unrelated question, but maybe OP or others can help. I recently started smoking weed much more frequently than I ever have. A buddy and I smoke a blunt probably 3 times a week on weeknights before and we smoke a good amount of bud on the weekends, probably a blunt or two to the face per night. Since I've been doing this more regularly, I've developed a pretty bad cough and I now produce way more mucus and phlegm than I ever have.

I stopped smoking for about a week now and the cough has subsided a little, but it is still very noticeable. Do other people have this problem? Am I smoking bad weed? Is it because I only smoke blunts? Is it just one of those things that you have to get used to? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 PM

I'm 5'10, 170 pounds and 9% body fat and I smoke every day. My buddy and I rip a bong before we work out all the time, and it is better than any energy drink - as OP said you forget how tired you are and you are insanely focused while lifting. The hardest part is prob avoiding the munchies, thats why I like to smoke while I'm in the mood for being productive.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unrelated question, but maybe OP or others can help. I recently started smoking weed much more frequently than I ever have. A buddy and I smoke a blunt probably 3 times a week on weeknights before and we smoke a good amount of bud on the weekends, probably a blunt or two to the face per night. Since I've been doing this more regularly, I've developed a pretty bad cough and I now produce way more mucus and phlegm than I ever have.

I stopped smoking for about a week now and the cough has subsided a little, but it is still very noticeable. Do other people have this problem? Am I smoking bad weed? Is it because I only smoke blunts? Is it just one of those things that you have to get used to? Thanks for any help you can offer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is just one of those things that comes and goes. The method of smoking the weed and the quality of the weed have almost nothing to do with it imo. A cough like that can kind of linger like you said. It seems like it's really bad for like 3-4 days and then semi-bad for like 2 weeks or so. Is the phlegm you're coughing up kind of black? That's always fun.

I think it might kind be a tolerance issue too. I seem to remember this happening to me more about 2-3 years ago then it does now. I smoked cigarettes back then too, that didn't help at all. If you're smoking weed everyday plus a pack a day like I used to, you'll probably have at least a slight cough just about all the time.

The key is not to be afraid of the cough but to embrace it. Wear it like a badge of honor. When you hock up a really nasty wad of phlegm and your friends say, "Dude, that's disgusting, maybe you should consider actually not smoking for a while," that's when the true pot heads pushes forward. Smoke the pot, don't let the pot smoke you.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:23 PM

What are your running times?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:03 AM

I don't really keep track when I'm just going for my normal run. So far this year I've run two races in Central Park. First one was 5 miles, I ran it in 34:18. 2nd one was a 10k (6.2 miles), I ran it in 43:35 or something. In a race though I go significantly faster because of all the people around. When I run on the treadmill (which I hate and I'll only do if the weather is really bad) I go 6 miles at about a 7:45 pace.

This morning I had my longest ever run: 7.8 miles according to this site:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

Ultimate goal: 2008 NYC marathon!