Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 PM

Default PLO $100

So I am pretty new to Omaha and had a hand two days ago that I have been thinking about. I posted it on another site but I decided I want to get everyone's opinion on here. Please excuse the fact that I am posting results as the only HH I have is from what I posted on the other site. Also the only read I have on villain is I have never seen him raise preflop and have not seen him really get involved in any big pots over about 100 hands at this point. I have no idea about hsi exact stats as my pokertracker and hud is only for hold 'em.
Here is the hand: http://www.liquidpoker.net/h/219091

I usually chalk hands like these in hold em up to coolers. Did I play this wrong? Should I be reraising pre? Should i just fold oop preflop. Should I find a fold on the flop? I just want to hear others analysis of this hand in general. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: PLO $100

I don't like raising preflop, I don't even limp, Just fold it.

With no redraw and the low straight, I would call his raise and see a safe turn card before I stack off.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 PM

So when the turn comes a blank are you always putting your stack in at that point?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:45 PM

yes
Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Also, if I am ahead of his range on the flop why would I ever want to smooth call the flop and allow half the deck to scare me on the turn?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 PM

Another thing to consider is he did raise preflop UTG so would you think it is more likely he has a high hand+ a flush draw or something to that extent rather then a hand that beats me.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:19 PM

I think preflop is fine. I would never stack off on this board though. Once he repops you it's time to fold, he's either got a big draw (in which case you're only slightly ahead) or the nuts and you're dead.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM

We are behind a BIG DRAW, KILLED by 58xx, getting freerolled vs another 35 and only a 60/40 favorite vs a set that DOESNT have a straight or flush draw.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are behind a BIG DRAW, KILLED by 58xx, getting freerolled vs another 35 and only a 60/40 favorite vs a set that DOESNT have a straight or flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's slightly ahead at BEST against a big draw. There are certainly many draws that are crushing him but less likely than an AAxxhh type hand. Still a clear fold.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am pretty new to Omaha and had a hand two days ago that I have been thinking about. I posted it on another site but I decided I want to get everyone's opinion on here. Please excuse the fact that I am posting results as the only HH I have is from what I posted on the other site. Also the only read I have on villain is I have never seen him raise preflop and have not seen him really get involved in any big pots over about 100 hands at this point. I have no idea about hsi exact stats as my pokertracker and hud is only for hold 'em.
Here is the hand: http://www.liquidpoker.net/h/219091

I usually chalk hands like these in hold em up to coolers. Did I play this wrong? Should I be reraising pre? Should i just fold oop preflop. Should I find a fold on the flop? I just want to hear others analysis of this hand in general. Thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you saw right here was the POWER of the preflop raise.
Your opponent made a continuation bet (with the nuts, heehee) and you raised believing yourself to be ahead "of his range" and it cost you all your chips to actually find out he did flop the nuts.
So first things first. Just because a guy raises preflop, it doesn't mean he is full of it on the flop.
Secondly, don't raise here without a redraw, calling is fine since your opponent might just have a flush draw, but raising is terrible. If you had a set plus 35 or a nut flush draw plus 35, then yes raise it up as you have a Plan B if it turns out your opponent did flop the nuts.