Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM

Default How do you control swings/tilt/FEELINGS

Okay guys, we all know that.

Some days or even weeks are running terrible, your AA/KK/etc don't win, your sets get outdrawn although you made the right play.

But we all know as well that if we make the right decision, it doesn't even matter if we lose once or even ten times in a row, because in the LONG run we make money.

But if you get bad beated like 10 times in a row don't you want to freaking kick the [censored] out of these guys who play like complete donks?

But how do you control your feelings..

The correct question would be, HOW DO YOU SEPERATE YOUR FEELINGS FROM POKER?

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: How do you control swings/tilt/FEELINGS

You have to make your peace with variance. It's not easy when you're on a big downswing, but it's the only way you can keep playing. Poker is only beatable because of donkeys, so it's not their fault you losing; it's their fault you're winning most of the time.

Find a way to deal with the gap between the quality of your play and the quality of your results or you will not last. Period.

A downswing is a great time to challenge yourself to improve your game and tighten up any leaks you have.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 PM

If you get bad beat 10x in a row you're either the unluckiest player on the planet or you're not nearly as good as you think you are.

It's taken a while but I'm at the point where I laugh off the odd bad beat or two. If I get to a point where I'm down more than 2 buy-ins for a session, I quit for the day.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Not sure if it helps but I read a book called The Poker Mindset that really helped my emotional control when I play, i'm sure you can find something about it in the book/publication forum.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:00 PM

first, recognize when you are tilting. if you want to get revenge on another player, you're tilting. if you are anxious to get a good hand, you're tilting. if you're constantly dwelling about how bad you're running, you're tilting. once you recognize that you're tilting, then you basically have to concentrate on calming down. breathe deeply. dont make angry faces, dont hit things, that will just make you angrier. if you concentrate for like a minute straight on calming down then that will make it go away.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:03 PM

There is nothing you can do if you have AA, raise, one guy calls another reraises BIG i flat call, flop comes kqj, you cant do much if he has KK. You could have went all in he would have won it either way.

Or you have AK, reraise preflop flop comes ak4 and he has KK, nothing you can do.

OR; i reraise with KK pre, he calls, flop is q98 he has QQ, how can I play wrong?

OKAY; just now:

I got AQ clubs

flop: q44, ONE CLUB

i raise he reraises i reraise he calls.

TURN: 7 of clubs, he goes all in I call.

HE shows JQ, i have AQ of clubs, he has 2 outs.

river: j not clubs, BANG.

THIS IS A [censored] JOKE, seriuosly.

It's not that I am tilting but HOW CAN THIS [censored] HAPPEN FOR 3 days?
Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Just think in terms of probability. Browse that forum when you get the chance. Don't think of winning a hand as acutally winning the total amount of money in the pot. So in a 100 dollar pot, if you are 60% to win and put in half the amount in the pot, then regardless of the result you win 60 dollars - the 50 dollars you put in which is a net of 10.

That's what I've been doing and it helps with the downswings.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing you can do if you have AA, raise, one guy calls another reraises BIG i flat call, flop comes kqj, you cant do much if he has KK. You could have went all in he would have won it either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fold on the flop under most circumstances fwiw.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 AM

I guess I'm not much help as I never a problem with tilt. I think it is really an extention of emotional control generally. Do you get angry/upset at other things in life? Then perhaps you need to look at medition or something. I can't say I've done this, but you just have to understand that sometimes the variance tiger eats you, and sometimes it eats for you. The better you play, the less your behind generally, so you probably need to suckout less, and get suckout'ed on more. Be happy about it. Such is life, there are worst things, neh? Agree with last poster, bad flop.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM

well flop wasnt jqk, but jk5 or something. I mean I raised about pot and he pushed all in few more, I cant fold there.

The thing I am saying is, I could have played it either way, KK isn't going to fold preflop.

Or I have AA; one caller, flop is 367 rainbow, I raise get reraised. Now tell me you would lay that down. Of course he had a set of 3's.

Ye I will follow that one rule, that if I lose 2 buyins I am not playing that day anymore. I mean there were so many pots I just lost if I would have won half of those all-ins I would have been up 2k or more.

[censored] happens I guess. I am still up in the long run, that's what matters but I kinda want to be up every day even if not much, or lose a little but 1k, aka 15 buyins is harsh.