Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Best of/Beginner Guides

Hey guys, first off, I'm no investing guru or anything.

Finance and investing is a integral part of life and important to many 2p2ers, because it's a logical choice for smart young rich people to invest their money. That being said, I'm surprised that with all the traffic this forum has been getting, there hasn't been a best of thread for internal links to threads, external links to great resources, or beginner's guides stickies.

Recently, I've been seeing so many threads popping up like, "I want to invest $x, what do i do?" "Noob to investing, where to start?" "What can I do to learn about investing? What websites/books should I read?" and the like. I've proposed this to the mods via PM and one was hungover and the other one didn't respond, so I figured I'd just get it going.

I'm sure the regs here are tired of answering the same questions so many times. I think if could have a FAQ/Sticky or a beginner's guide type threads, it would really help the new ones that wander in here as well as retain a bigger existing forum base. I find myself turned off when I click on this forum and questions are repeatedly asked, and it's also frustrating when you use the search function, don't find anything, make a post and everyone is like "has been said before"

I think that 2p2 finance forum is as good a place as any to have this kind of information readily available. I don't want to go to other investing forums and read about Joe Schmo from Arizona investing his life savings of $5000 in random stocks. I would find it much better to relate to a younger 2p2 crowd.

That being said, please post suggestions of sticky/faq topics you think would be useful to have. I have proposed three above. Also, if you have some threads favorited (from this forum/other resources/el diablo discussion/whatever) please post the topic you think it would go under and the link. Over the next few weeks, I will work hard to consolodate all this information and present it to the mods at the end, if there is a demand. I'm hoping as a result, we wouldn't have to retrace our steps in our threads all the time and can get into some more sophisticated/detailed discussions.

Respectfully submitted,
jmxthievez
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Best of/Beginner Guides

For example,
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post10412439

kind of a mediocre example because not that much info/discussion was in there.

but what I would do is list this under a "Liquid Investments, MMA, Savings" type topic and take out the meat such as.

1. pros/cons of investing in liquid money market account
2. go to www.bankrate.com to check for latest rates traditionally top banks and rates
3. specific info such as www.fnbodirect.com offering 6% until september, everyone should go there, blah blah.

That's the idea, any takers? Please help me out.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Best of/Beginner Guides

Have you looked thru the threads that are already listed in the sticky?

Everyone should read the 401K thread listed in the sticky before posting a what should I do with $x question.

The books in the Reading List thread listed in the sticky are also an excellent start for Investors or Traders.