Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Default When to leave the table?

I wondered if any of you have some guidelines when to leave a table, whether you are losing or not.

For Example: You sat down on a table which seemed fishy but you keep loosing to those superagressive donks who always seem to hit a least two pair. Your Cbets always get called and even 5bb +1bb for every limper keeps 3 people in the hand.
How much does it take to make you leave?
Or do you leave at all, just tighten up and hope for some cards and let them pay you off?

Another example:
You are running good and maybe doubled up. The villains are playing back at you and want their money back. The keep pushing but you cant call with i.e. tpgk etc
So you're losing steadily what you took off them.

Do you leave the table to "save" the money you won or do you play the big stack.
Does a big stack change your strategy? do you play the table bully or stick to the TAG Plan?

Heffer
Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: When to leave the table?

I think you should leave the table when your emotions cloud your judgement. If you can drop a BI against a fish hits his 2-outer on the river and not sweat it, then you should rebuy because you can easily beat the opponent. But if you start making obviously terrible plays because you're upset, then it's time to go.

I have a BIG problem with this.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM

No one plays as well when they're losing as they do when they're winning. If your losses are affecting you enough that you're seriously compromising your game, just stop and do something else for awhile.

Obviously things like your opponents always seeming to "hit two pair" is just in your mind. The events are independent.

And having a big stack at a table is always good; you can win tons if you run into a donk with a big stack.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM

ok heffer, you're new, I wanna try and give you a jump start boost.

Dissapointing as it may sound, mike caro said it best, you only play when game conditions permit so. This means if you start tilting, the table is tough or better than you (players with low VPIP's), or everyone is short stacked, it is wise. It is also wise to leave if you've been losing/playing bad or if you just dont feel like playing.

The only behavior you're opponents can ever exhibit to make you want to leave is playing good/better. If they start doing random goofy [censored], get into their heads, figure it out, and exploit it. Say for example they keep calling you're cbets and firing later streets, or just start firing 3 barrels etc, just call them down with middle pairs and stuff.

In theory the amount you are ever up/down should never ever come into play (assuming you have a more than sustainable br behind what you play with) while playing, its immaterial, but since we are humans, we have emotions, (monkey tilt!) so if we are running/playing good, chances are we will continue to do so, and this makes us $$$

on the other hand if we are running bad/playing bad/tilting, its wise to leave and go GET UR MIND OFF POKER COMPLETELY for a while before you return.

hope this helps
Old 06-27-2007, 11:31 AM

at ROBUSTO
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 AM

I actually find his first example to be pretty common, especially at uNL.

When you get into a table filled with players who are very loose and over aggro post flop (like 50/20/x players) it becomes extremely difficult to even break even here.

In theory this should be the easiest game to beat but it's not. They will call your cbets and if you check, they bet. If you bet, they raise -- etc..

If you adjust and stop cbetting then they insta fold when you bet.

Most of the time in these situations I get put into very uncomfortable situations with marginal hands, or I win practically nothing when I have a big hand.

If this happens for a bit I usually just leave. I cannot figure out how to battle a table of these players profitably. It doesn't have to be a full table either, 3 of them is enough to make that table extremely difficult to play at.

When you couple in variance (them hitting bs hands at the precise time you actually take a hand to the river) it can tilt you.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you get into a table filled with players who are very loose and over aggro post flop (like 50/20/x players) it becomes extremely difficult to even break even here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You shouldn't have problems beating 50/20/x type players. You just need to realize that you need to tighten up your range because your premium hands will go up in value. You also need to realize that playing against very aggressive players will increase variance of the game. Be prepared to have a few swings.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM

when i am deep i do change my stragtegy, for 400BB TPTK doesnt look as good as for 50BB. i leave when i feel ive lost my edge. i do want the donks calling all my raises and bets when they are behind even if they luck out some times b/c ill run even adn amek it all back plus a lot more if i keep my head on straight and play my game. i leave if i dont want to play 400BB deep against another big stack or if it gets HU or if the table become stoo tight.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just need to realize that you need to tighten up your range because your premium hands will go up in value.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact problem vs these villains though. If you sit there and tighten up to the point where you're running super nitty, they will just not pay you off.

If you continue your normal game (figure something in the 18/15 range or even 16/14), you're going to end up losing a ton of medium sized pots (pf raise, flop bet) because you can't expect them to fold. Then, if you adjust (stop betting unless you have TPGK or better), when you do bet/raise they will insta fold unless they have a real hand.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:09 PM

if they like to play back at you post flop - i'd c/r a lot more w/ my made hands and draws. don't be afraid to stick your money in w/ marginal hands - just make sure you're the one making the all-in.