Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 AM

Default please critique my form on these power cleans

I know I should have gotten coaching for these, but I really wanted to be cool and do the real Starting Strength program. Please take a look and comment:
first set
second set
Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: please critique my form on these power cleans

They don't look too bad, but your knee/shins look awfully close to the bar. Do you ever hit them?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:24 AM

The bar should be as close to your body as possible at all times. I've hit my knees more times than I can count.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They don't look too bad, but your knee/shins look awfully close to the bar. Do you ever hit them?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how they're supposed to be done. It's not at all unusual to scrape your shins bloody.

There's something funny about them but I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the second littel dip with the bounce that doesn't look quite right.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Looks pretty good deth, you are doing a lot of things right. However, colt is right-you aren't really getting the rebend of your knees after the first pull. Basically as you transition from the first pull (like a deadlift) to the 2nd (the part where you extend fully and jump a bit) you want to straighten your back and flex your knees - I think of it as getting into a jumping position. It happens really quickly but the slight rebend in your knees gives you an extra piece of explosive power for the 2nd pull.

Also your weight is too far forward throughout - I can see that as your heels come way off of the ground with your toes still touching - try and keep your heels in contact with the ground as long as possible. And when you land your knees bend well in front of your toes meaning your weight is still forward. Try and exaggerate the 2nd pull so that you feel like you're pulling the bar back toward you, this should keep it closer to your body and help with your weight distribution. When you reach full extension your entire body should be tilted backward somewhat.

Honestly though they look very good for a beginner. I've been doing o-lifts for 6 months and my technique isnt much better.

Oh, one other thing - start with your feet a little closer together - no more than hip width apart. As you get airborne move them about 2-3 inches outward each.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how they're supposed to be done. It's not at all unusual to scrape your shins bloody.

There's something funny about them but I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the second littel dip with the bounce that doesn't look quite right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to bloody my shins pretty bad. I always wear sweatpants and shinguards for cleans and deadlifts now. Works pretty well but tears the hell out of the sweatpants.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:27 PM

It looks pretty good. Try to keep your elbows higher when you catch the bar.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to scrape them from time to time when I was learning to deadlift, but I've figured it out now.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks Smiley, that's very helpful. I reread the section on the second pull in Starting Strength, and Rippetoe says to think about where the bar hits your thigh to initiate the jump. Supposed to be around 2/3 of the way up, so it looks like I'm jumping too early. Supposedly by jumping later I should be able to eliminate the "loop" and keep the bar closer to my body on the upper part of the clean. If that doesn't work he suggests to think about brushing the bar against my chest. He also suggests to think about pulling the bar back with my lats.

It's a lot to think about, but I guess the gist of it is that I need to keep the bar closer to my body and keep my weight back on my heels. I'll post some more videos later probably.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks pretty good. Try to keep your elbows higher when you catch the bar.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just yesterday realized the point of this when practicing with my shirt off in front of the mirror. Pointing your elbow out raises your delt above your collarbone so the bar can sit on the muscle. Good to know. I had been trying to point my elbow out just because everyone else does it, not knowing why.