Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Hands like these are why I suck playing shortstacked....

Live game,$100 buy-in. we are downt to final 2 tables,9 handed.Blinds at 1/2k,no antes,I'm sitting on pretty much exactly 20k,only on stack at the table smaller than mine,others are in the 25-45k range.Table has played very tight and the players frankly aren't that good.

I pick up KQs utg.What do I do???

Probably my first mistake was raising to 5k.Is limping/folding viable here?

Fold arount to CO,he goes all-in.That's the only player I've got covered,not by much though.If I call and lose,I'm down to 3k. Absolutely zero chance he's got any two here.Play is so tight,that he has to have a good hand.

So,what do I do?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Hands like these are why I suck playing shortstacked....

I would fold initially. You just don't really have any option other than push/fold at this point. Pushing probably isn't too bad (or maybe it is?) but you're gonna get called by AK/AQ and almost never by KJ/QJ so you're just praying to steal the blinds or get a coin flip. You still have plenty of FE after the blinds, so I would wait.

Once you raise to 5k, I don't see how folding is an option.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 PM

I somewhat agree with Austiger, push or fold that hand UTG. Having said that though since the table has been so tight I think you could probably argue for a push as well because alot of people are probably going to be folding small-medium pp's. As well as KQ, QJ, AJ, and probably AQ. Which means you are only behind to hands like AA, KK, QQ, AK, and against JJ you are racing which isn't terrible considering your chip position. Since there are many more hand combinations that are folding as opposed to calling I would probably push.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM

Also, the fact that your suited helps and might be the tipping point. I would fold KQo, but KQs is probably enough.

Yes, I'm flip-flopping. And when I flip-flop I usually go against my grain, which is to play tight. So push. F it.