Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 PM

Default QQ in Fulltilt $15K

Early in Fulltilt $15K blinds 30/60 2 other players involved have approx 3000 chips. Hero has $2400 chips

Hero is dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the button.

4 folds
seat 5 raises to 400
1 fold
Hero calls 400
1 fold
BB raises to 1200

Seat 5 folds

Hero???
(Do I see a flop for half my chips? Fold? All in?)
Old 06-26-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: QQ in Fulltilt $15K

Im going all in here. This could easily be a squeeze type play as the raise came from rather late position, and you just flat called. I would almost never fold here unless you have some great reads, and seat 5 and the BB are very very tight.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:19 PM

fold if seat 5 folds you are in a tough spot... seat five could have TT+, AK, AJs, but BB coming in for a raise, call , and then reraising usually have KK, AA, AK... your probably beat its early and the blinds are still small for you to make up ground
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 PM

First off you probably should have raised preflop for two reasons. 1) To isolate and make sure your up against as few opponents as possible which also gives you info on the strength of your opponents hand. 2) Get more money in the pot with the most probable best hand. As played, I would shove. People in these tourneys suck, I would say you are most likley up against something like 88+, AJ, AQ, AK, maybe even KQ.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 PM

i think either play is ok fold ok shove ok call bad
Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 PM

This is tough without reads. I've both folded and pushed all-in in similar situations. I've probably called too, which isn't actually that bad a play here--I doubt there are any hands that would fold to an all-in that you would otherwise need to worry about being outdrawn by. The thing is if you merely call you invite the BB (acting first next round) to rep the A or K if he does have some donkey holding like 77-JJ, but if an A or K doesn't fall and he checks or bets light you know you're probably good.

As another poster pointed out, it's early and the blinds are still low, plus the level of play in these is pretty weak so your EV is always higher than you think as long as you can stick around with a decent sized stack. Maybe this isn't the time to trot out Gary Cooper.

Okay so I hope my not clearing anything up helped, you're welcome.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 PM

Haven't read responses.

I really love the flat call of 400. That's what I would do there. It's unlikely (probably, that would be your table read), that one of the blinds would call. The OR has much less of an idea what you have when you call than if you push (which would really be your only option as raising to 1000 is wayyy too much of your stack). I'm not that worried about BB coming along to the flop, and I'm still pushing any non A/K flop no matter what.

That's an instapush after the raise. It sorta gives away your hand, but you don't care because you're gonna be heads up with it. Read the FAQ, it's a push and it's not even close. If you run into the two hands that beat you, sorry. You're getting a nice overlay with the dead money in there already.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 PM

I'd much prefer to simply shove, after the initial pf raise. Why put in 1/6th of your stack, only to encourage a multiway pot and allow someone to outflop you?

As-played, it's an easy shove. There's no point in just calling because there's no way in hell you're folding the flop (even if it comes AK9).

Based on how the hand was played. I don't see how you could even consider folding.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 PM

I would shove over the reraise. Your only really worried about being called by two hands here. Also what's with the original raise to 400 here? Was that the table norm? At 30/60 I would assume an opening range to be 180-300. I am kinda torn on the smooth call. I think if you smooth call your hoping for the sb/bb to raise thinking that your OTB and may be calling with a huge range and he's just looking to take down a signigicant pot, then you can come over the top. If your not planning on shoving if raised then I think I like a reraise better.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 PM

I figure you shove and win this pot about 40% of the time which yields an EV of about t330. Save your chips this early in the game and fold especially if you figure yourself to be a favorite against the field.