Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 03:05 PM

Default How do you decide who gets to play?

I have a regular game on Wednesday nights and just started a points system. Problem is -- I have a one table game and have more than 10 regulars. Does anyone else have this problem? Usually I have in the range of 12-18 players that want in, but only 10 spots.

I have room for only one table, but could host at another house (one has been offerred nearby). The problem with that is, I like the format the way it is and don't want to speed up the rounds.

The only way I could see doing two tables is to have a shootout format -- Both tables play until there is one winner and then there's a heads up match. The thing I don't like about this is it makes it harder to hit the money. That way it would still hopefully finish at a decent hour.

Other alternative -- I make a rotating list. People take turns sitting out so that everyone has an equal shot at the points. When it's my turn to sit out, I simply play a game where I can't get any points.

Opinions please?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: How do you decide who gets to play?

[ QUOTE ]

I have room for only one table, but could host at another house (one has been offerred nearby). The problem with that is, I like the format the way it is and don't want to speed up the rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you already have your answer. A two table tourny is much better. Making people sit out sucks.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:15 PM

The simplest solution (my wife uses for her "girl's only" bunko night) is to simply take the first 10 people who sign up.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The simplest solution (my wife uses for her "girl's only" bunko night) is to simply take the first 10 people who sign up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but collect the buy-in's in advance.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that he is using some sort of point system. Apparently a portion of the buy-in is held aside to create a prize(s) to be given at some later time to the player who accumulates the most points. This is inherently unfair to players who get to play less and have less opportunity to accumulate points.

The simplest solution is to eliminate the point system.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that he is using some sort of point system. Apparently a portion of the buy-in is held aside to create a prize(s) to be given at some later time to the player who accumulates the most points. This is inherently unfair to players who get to play less and have less opportunity to accumulate points.

The simplest solution is to eliminate the point system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, not going to eliminate the point system though. There is money being taken out each game.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:01 PM

Would it be retarded to just have two one table tourneys?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 PM

Do you really only have room for one table? Couldn't you fit two smaller folding tables in? See if others can bring these tables and folding chairs. If your apartment is really that small, maybe someone else should host the game. If you have that many people who want to play, someone else should be willing and able to host.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really only have room for one table? Couldn't you fit two smaller folding tables in? See if others can bring these tables and folding chairs. If your apartment is really that small, maybe someone else should host the game. If you have that many people who want to play, someone else should be willing and able to host.

[/ QUOTE ]

one table in the living room one in the kitchen? or are we talkin' studio here? seems like if there's a will there's a way with this one unless it's a bathroom size apartment. that or move it somewhere else.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:47 PM

I don't have room for a second table. I could host somewhere else, but that would get more complicated.

I discussed it with the people at my game last night and decided that there will be a rotating list where people will have to sit out roughly 1/5 weeks. I'm changing the point system to be an average so that I don't penalize users that can't play as often, will give them a fair shot at the final tournament.

If I think I can get enough for 2 tables every week, I may try hosting two one table tourneys and see how that goes.

Thanks to all for your input.