Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Vegas Trip Report

Well, this is only Day 1. I copied it from my now up and running aswesome blog.

It is a Sunday afternoon, and I decide that it would be a good day to cook some chicken on the grill. So, I get the grill lit, sodomize the chicken with a beer can and wait. At around 1:30 (mid-meal) my phone rings. It is a friend of mine who is currently in Vegas. He demands that I get my ass on a plane and get out there, as he wants me to make him the dollars. After scrambling madly and barely making it to the airport, I board a 5:15 flight.

I land in Vegas at around 7:30, and 14 seconds after I turn on my phone, it starts buzzing. It is my buddy. He is in the 3K NL event, and they have a dinner break. I should meet him at the RIO to eat, and he can give me a key to the room. Fine. I get in a cab and head over. I have a conversation with the driver about nationalized healthcare and how I used to be a teacher and all other kinds of other nonsense. He seems like a nice guy. The fare is like $18.20. I give him $30 and ask for 8 back. He gives me some song and dance about how he relies on tips for a living and has to pay 23% tax and blahblahblah and I end up giving him an extra 2 bucks when I should have stiffed his Eastern-Block ass after that comment.

We eat, and then immediately go over to the tourney area to (a) revel in the glory that is his chip stack and (b) look for Brandi. I have never seen a completely insane tramp in real life before, so I am giddy with anticipation. He told me she was there earlier, but alas she is nowhere to be seen. It was not meant to be.

I get to our room at the Bellagio and then head downstairs for making gambooooooool. I am going to play 100/200, a limit I have never played before, so I am a bit nervous. Plus, I don’t want to blow my friend’s money, but he (a) understands the risks and (b) is very confident that I will make him the dollars. He would not have given me $20k to play with if he wasn’t. (Most of the people at 2+2 think I am bad at poker, which I guess is largely my fault, as I am self-deprecating and often talk about how much I suck. This combined with the fact that the vast majority of people there greatly overestimate their poker skill makes it easy for them to conclude that PokerBob sucks. That said, I find it amusing that people who have never played with me before assume I am bad and are even willing to cross-book me, yet some of the best limit hold’em players around are more than happy to buy my action. Such irony makes me giggle. I like things that make me giggle.)

I get on the 100/200 list and then go annoy a guy I know who is in the 100/200 main game. He is used to playing much higher, and I think he is bored as 100/200 is the biggest thing going. We talk for a bit and then they start a 2nd must-move. It is 4 handed. I recognize no one. Two of the guys look like internet players, and the 3rd is a guy who could easily be Neil Young’s brother. He is wearing a black baseball cap that says “Out of all collection pots.” I have no idea how to interpret this at this point.

I fold my first few hands, and then on my 5th hand I get A4 sooooted in the SB and I open. The guy with Neil Young’s DNA calls in the BB. The flop comes 532 with 2 of my soot and I almost vomit, but instead I bet. To my delight, but also horror, I get raised. I immediately assume he has a set and will win this pot. I calm myself and 3bone his ass and he calls. The turn is a black 7. I bet and he calls. The river is a 6 that brings in the flush and I bet hoping by the grace of all that is holy that he has a hand like KTs but he does not and just calls. I procure the dollars.

Later I get moved to the initial must-move table in the high-limit area. I have been up there in the past harassing my friends, but never as a player. I sit down in the 2 seat. I recognize the 1 seat as a French-Canadian fellow that I had met last year. I tell him he talks funny, and he immediately remembers me. He is a very nice fellow. We chat and have a good time and he rapes me in a pot where he makes the nut flush vs. my q-high flush where neither of us should have been in there because it was a time pot but we weren’t paying attention. Bleh.

The most fun hand I played was when a lady who had been opening a lot raised in EP and I 3bet the button with ATs. Flop comes J44 with 2 of a sooooot (not mine.) She donks and I smell BS and call her down UI. When my chips hit the felt on the river she says “Nice call, honey”, and tables the BAD MUTHA UI. Again, I procure the dollars.

2 hours into my session my buddy appears behind me. I am surprised to see him, and he looks like he just saw someone eaten alive. He went from having a very large stack to BUSTO in the span of 5 hands, only 2 of which he played.

Hand 1:

Blinds are 500/1000. Guy stuffs for 12K. My buddy flat calls with AK (he has like 50K). Everyone folds. Stuffer has A7o. It comes AK4r……7……..7……99.1% on the flop is not enough.

Hand 2 (4 hands later):

Guy opens late. My buddy reraises with AK from the BB. Guy stuffs. My buddy calls. Guy has AQ and says “I thought you were on tilt from that other hand.” Flop is all rags, but a whore hit the turn and BUSTO.

I play 4 hours my first night and lose around 2K, but get my feet wet and feel very comfortable in the game. At this point, there are no players in that game better than me.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Vegas Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, there are no players in that game better than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv.

Congrats on getting your feet wet.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At this point, there are no players in that game better than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv.

Congrats on getting your feet wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was not obvious to me.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 AM

Guy with the stupid hat is a commerce regular who is a nit but not that bad. If the girl really said "nice call, honey" then it was Nina for sure and she is a LAG but really nice and can play good when she cares.

Good trip reporting.

-DeathDonkey
Old 06-26-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guy with the stupid hat is a commerce regular who is a nit but not that bad. If the girl really said "nice call, honey" then it was Nina for sure and she is a LAG but really nice and can play good when she cares.

Good trip reporting.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, it was nina. didn't play with her much but she did seem very kind and was running the table into the ground.

the hat guy creeped me out. i didn't see too much of his play, other than that he opened in the hijack with 75s when there was a poster in the CO. i found that to be rather retarded.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 AM

Bob,

I was sitting to your right in the hand where you flopped the straight w 78sooted vs Gina. I had moved from the 4 seat. I was taking a shot and got crushed. Didn't win a hand after I moved to main game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Brooks
Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

I was sitting to your right in the hand where you flopped the straight w 78sooted vs Gina. I had moved from the 4 seat. I was taking a shot and got crushed. Didn't win a hand after I moved to main game. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Brooks

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh. sorry to hear that.

EDIT: I rememeber. You had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on a J high board with two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s and the 8 seat had yet another set. unfortunately for you, he managed to win with that particular set.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:20 AM

this is an entirely wicked ass trip report, and i salute you and your categorically tremendous nuts.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 AM

Yep, oh and you forgot the straight draw I had too. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] Only other hand we were in was you open raised in HJ, I 3bet w AJcc, Gina called in the blind and then c/r me on a 10 6 5 rainbow board and I folded turn UI.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 AM

ugh. i don't recall what i had there.

EDIT: Actually, I think I had AQ and was pissed when Gina c/red the flop.