Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 AM

Default main event

Hey all, i won a seat to the main event last night through fulltilt and even though this is a huge boost to my bankroll i feel like gambling and playing in it anyway.
I would like to try and sell a % of my self off to friends and family and was wondering how these types of staking deals work. Like do i keep a % of a % for my "time and effort" . anyway i have no clue and would appreciate any help or pointing me in the right direction to find this info. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: main event

For 1 tourney, I'd say 80% them 20% you is fair for their share.

Edit- Or, with friends and family you might want to just do it 100% them.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:13 AM

As someone who probably does not have a huge edge over the field you should probably just sell pieces of yourself that entitle the buyer to that % of your winnings. If they pay you $5,000 then they should get 50% of your total score.

Theoretically, someone whose expected ROI for the tournament is 200% should sell pieces of themself for $2 for every $1 of entry fee (a $10,000 stake would garner the buyer 50%) but from your description it sounds like you should just sell pieces of yourself at even money.

Congrats on the score and gl in the main event
Old 06-26-2007, 12:28 AM

You ought to think long and hard before selling action to non-poker playing friends and family. They probably lack a sufficient understanding of stuff like variance to make a truly informed decision, and this could lead to hard feelings down the road. Obviously very situation specific, but I'd encourage you to think about it. It's not something I'd do.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:38 AM

Three Fs to remember when finding investors:

Friends, Family, and Fools.

Start with the Fools and move to Friends. You mom will still love you if you cost her a grand. So will any real friends. It's the not-as-close friends you have to worry about.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
someone whose expected ROI for the tournament is 200% should sell pieces of themself for $2 for every $1 of entry fee

[/ QUOTE ]

why would any sane person buy action at that price? a deal that is fair to both the backer and the backee should be for something less than the player's ev in a 1 tourney backing deal... in this case somewhere between $1-1.50 imo. if its a long term deal then something closer to the player's ev is more fair.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:19 AM

hey thanks for the responses!
last summer i won a 1k seat into the bellagio daily through a free poker leauge and cashed for 40k so even though i know that i got the better side of variance some local players think im pretty good and im thinking i could sell a bunch of small parts . i have heard of some people making it into a coporation of sorts and selling "shares" how does this work? are there any good books or websites that outline this because i would really like to understand it in detail. Anyway thanks alot i basically learned to play poker by lurking these forums and cornell and foucalt are two of my favorite posters so thank you! foucalt you bring up an interesting point about non knowledgable investors what would you do? also if anybody is going to be there that would be interested in trading % for some last minute poker coaching pm me!