Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Sticky situation at work...

I work in tech support for a company supporting product 'a'. Mid-May, I expressed interest in learning and supporting product 'b' to my manager. She and her boss managed to squash that fairly quickly. Yesterday, two positions were posted for product 'b'. Per company policy, I need my managers approval to apply. I just sent an email to my manager.

[ QUOTE ]

Manager,

There is an opening in product 'b' that I am interested in applying for. I wanted to run this by you. Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
'Chair

[/ QUOTE ]

am i just shooting myself in the foot w/ this?

btw, I have an off-the-record understanding with the manager of that product that the job is mine once I apply.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Sticky situation at work...

[ QUOTE ]

am i just shooting myself in the foot w/ this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely depends on whether your current manager knows that

[ QUOTE ]
I have an off-the-record understanding with the manager of that product that the job is mine once I apply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also depends on which manager is better connected within the organization.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Managers who try and keep people who want out in, especially if it's for a good reason, are horrible.

If you know you'll get the b job, do it, and [censored] what the other manager thinks. Make yourself happy, don't work for [censored].

I can't believe that you need manager approval to move internally. That's just lame. Is this standard for private sector?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM

4_2_it - no, current manager does not know about my dialog with the other manager. Not sure which mgr is better connected.

Dids - I agree.

response from manager...
[ QUOTE ]

'Chari,

Off the top, I thought we had a game plan to get you training on <u>product 'c'</u>, and product 'b' as it became available in the fall?

Not sure what changed for you. Let's talk tomorrow. Thanks 'Chair

Manager

[/ QUOTE ]

back when I expressed interest in product 'b', manager made it pretty clear she didn't want me to move into that and has been trying to force product 'c' down my throat. realizing I had little choice (there were no openings for product 'b' at the time) I decided to agree to train in product 'c'. Manager said I could train for product 'b' later (conveniently left it open ended as to when that would be...she's tricky).
Old 06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

dear manager,

the reason i've brought this up again is that two positions have opened up on B and i think i am a strong candidate. although i appreciate the opportunities i've had on our current project, i have had an interest in B for a long time and it would be my first choice for the future. as you probably know, i need you to sign off if i want to apply for the position, and i would really appreciate it if you'd give me a chance to do so.

thanks,
chair

(obv w/ capitals and stuff if that is important, just whipped this off)
Old 06-25-2007, 11:34 PM

sit down with her, tell her bluntly this is what you want to do. This sounds like an actual different position, not just a change in roles, in which case it's very bizarre that your current manager can squash it. If it were the latter it'd make sense, but any private employment, assuming you don't have a contract or anything, is at will employment. You're free to get a new job whenever you please.

So is she just flexing and making it clear that she'll prevent you from being hired in the new position? That's messed up, and if it's the case, I'd go over her head.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Who does your manager think should get the project b job instead of you?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM

Any manager who would prevent you from doing what you want in this way is going to crush you, sooner or later, in the position you're in if you stay. Or else make sure you don't advance.

So you only have the appearance of something to lose. Actually, you've got nothing to lose that you haven't lost already, or maybe never had at all.

Tell her you want in on your new future. Try not to make it sound like you're leaving something well worth leaving, even if only just for you, because that will point up the sucky part about her area, and she'll get defensive. Most people lash out when defensive and all thinking stops, and then nothing you say matters. So make it sound like you've got two great choices -- her plan, and yours -- and for whatever reason, maybe your own little unnameable idiosyncracies, one choice appeals to you more than the next. That way you don't sound as much like you're abandoning and disrespecting her and her division when you leave.

In a way, the change is a form of rejecting HER personally, and you know how crazy women can be about perceived rejection, so keep a feeling of great respect for her and your present position at the forefront when talking this over. Even if it doesn't sound 100% on the level, worry about that later at your new job. Keep the crisis and rejection factors to a minimum.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wisdom

[/ QUOTE ]

The above post is correct, with the possible exception of the "you know how women get..." part. Any manager who puts himself (herself) in your way when you try to advance is going to keep you right where you are for the rest of your life. Quit if you have to, or be prepared to spend the rest of your career as furniture in your manager's eyes.

SpaceAce
Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any manager who would prevent you from doing what you want in this way is going to crush you, sooner or later, in the position you're in if you stay. Or else make sure you don't advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Sounds exactly like the kind of manager that will try and prevent you from taking this job behind your back. Don't trust anything she tells you. She'd rather see you quit or be fired rather then take this job.

Typical horrible support manager.