Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Default What would you do differently if you were starting over?

I am a new poker player. I about 300 hours of live experience over the last 3-4 months playing 2/4 and 3/6 LHE. So far I am about break even after tokes, rake and the occasional beverage purchased at the tables. (I know that this is a tiny sample size and I can't use it to really judge my game.)

I have 3 2+2 books (Small Stakes, Theory of Poker and HEfAP). I have read all 3, but I reread the Small Stakes one all the time (it's in my 'reading room' so I get to it at least once a day). I have not reread the others since they felt too advanced for the games I was playing.

Due the distance and gas costs I have decided to try out online poker to see if I like it. I have deposited $100 in Pokerstars since it seemed to have the micro stakes games I wanted to start off in.

My intention is to start in the lowest level limit and play 2 tables until I feel "comfortable". I will throw in a few SnGs to see how I feel about them. I don't have too much interest in NL at this time, but I imagine I will dip my feet in that pool sooner or later.

So, some questions...

1) Most importantly, what would you differently now that you are "in the know"?

2) I assume that Pokertracker is a good investment to help me with my game. Is this assumption correct? Should I be worried about the "add ons" to it right off the bat?

3) Will I be "hurting myself" by playing too much at the .02/.04 levels? Is there a level I should try to get to "quickly"? I imagine not, but wanted to throw it on the table.

4) What skills are the most important to pick up? I feel like my preflop game is ok (following the Small Stakes tables and adjusting a little tighter when the game warrants ). But my postflop play needs serious work. The problem is that live I just don't get enough hands to play and get experience with.

My overall goal is to make myself a better player so that I can be a long term winner. I don't want to quit my job and be a professional. I just want a hobby that will, hopefully, pay for itself in the long run.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: What would you do differently if you were starting over?

1.) I would have concentrated on one type of game and realized I would lose money right away. Had I done this I would have kept playing one type of game even though I was losing, instead I would switch to another game because "the game is unbeatable. This has set me back, I think I'd be a pretty good sng player now had I stuck with it.

2) If you can afford it right away, I would get PT if for only the ease at which you can go through your HHs. I also use PAHUD because I multitable sngs and mtts.

3) If you can replenish $100 every month I wouldn't start any lower the .25/.50, even at this level the play can be atrocious but at least it's closer to decent play.

4) The biggest skill, IMO is the ability to realize when you're tilting so that you can quit and not spew chips everywhere. If you've read small stakes holdem expert play (I think that's right) you're set.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't EVER sign up for a poker room without getting either rakeback or an affiliate deal.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't EVER sign up for a poker room without getting either rakeback or an affiliate deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive done this mistake a lot.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:50 PM

#1 by far - learn from your OWN experiences and mistakes at the table, not the so-called basic strategy repeated by posters on these forums. Just cause one person (or ten people) with 5000 posts tells you something doesn't mean thats how it is.

2. Get PT, but don't let it become a central part of your game. Don't let statistics replace thought process and player reads.

3. Hell no. This is what I mean by not falling to popular opinions on 2+2. How is beating play money and micro stakes gonna hurt your game? I didn't risk a penny until I was beating play money every session. Start at the bottom, and beat each level on your way up.

4. The best thing to do is to get experience, and to think carefully about every single decision. I often play just a single table to stay sharp in my player reads.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent advice.

Please have a look through this post before you get into online play.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM

1. Get PT/PAHUD
2. buy at least a 24" monitor
3. Only play the $2 tables to learn the game, try to start as high as your br/skill allows you, no reason to grind the micro micro tables if you read all the books already.
4. profit?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 PM

1. I would have posted here more often when I was a novice. The advice and help I received here at 2+2 is worth its weight in gold. I wish I received it earlier.

2. I don't play cash games frequently, but it seems worthwhile even if you just use it to evaluate your own play.

3. Start from the bottom and work your way up. The limits you play is a matter of comfort as much as it is skill. You can be a great player, but if you're playing too low, you might be pretty loose since a loss doesn't hurt you. If you play too high, you might tighten up too much and you'd be hurt that way also.

4. Focus. Be aware of your opponents at the table. It is very easy to get distracted while playing online poker. It can be highly detrimental to your game.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:20 PM

1. Not take 3 years to realise that when experienced players/teachers said position was important, that they really meant it.

End of list.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 PM

I think I started well. My biggest problems with my game have been tilt (which is just something that requires work) and bankroll management.

My biggest mistake ever was letting someone else use my online account. My <expletive deleted> former friend was told he could play one $22 SNG and he ended up losing $700 while I was out at a bar. I came home and he was still playing. I knew it was trouble. Couldn't imagine he could destroy a bankroll I had built for months in one sitting.

On a similar note, just make it a policy to never lend money to anyone for poker. If they can't pay for it now, they don't have the bankroll to be playing at whatever stakes they want to play. That's their problem. Don't make it yours.