Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Default PLO8 at Binion\'s trip report -- 6/24

Guys, Binion's EXCEEDED expectations. The PLO8 tourney went off without incident. And they expected 200-250 players and filled up ALL OF THEIR TABLES. They had 380 entrants and 30 alternates. I think that this is impressive and useful for the future of live PLO8.

[I got to level 9 in the tourney and busted out when I had A244 against A225. The board came high and the river came case 2. As you might guess, it sucked, but that's omaha.]

I started an interest list when I walked in there at 1230 for 1-2 pot. They already had a 4-8 limit list. When the time came to decide which to run, the floor called the limit game. When I asked, 8 of the 9 people that sat for the limit game also wanted to play pot. In fact, they were on both lists. The floor accomodated the one person over the 9.

I told the floor that she should at least try to start a cash game of the event that they were running as an MTT that afternoon.

Although they were reluctant to deal a PLO8 cash game, I pestered them until they offered it and it instantly filled. By the time the MTT started at 4PM, they had three tables of it running.

I learned that the reason why they haven't had more of these tourneys live is that the dealers hate it. Lots of them opt out, apparently because they can't or won't deal it effectively.

There was talk of more play after the tourney, but I was steaming and left after I busted out. I went to the Rio to check in and then played cash there. (See other thread.)

So Binion's ran a great tourney and accomodated us for the cash game. It wasn't at stakes that many of you would enjoy, but it was still a game. Binion's ran an impressive operation and a fun trip. And although I didn't cash, I won more than my tourney fee in the live game before the event so the day was about a wash financially.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: PLO8 at Binion\'s trip report -- 6/24

Yes.. most dealers don't even like dealing omaha, mostly from the old nits that play it and don't tip. But it's a harder game to deal since there are split pots.. less hands an hour, so they get tipped way less on average too. Then ask a mediocre dealer to keep track of pot size lol.. they don't have a clue.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Got knocked out around 160th out of 389 with Ad3dK8 vs A3KQr potted and repotted all in preflop. I was the one in the donkaments t-shirt. If you see me at the WSOP event say high, ill probably be weraing a WSOP hoodie.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Yeah the reason why the rooms don't like running it is because it's bad for the dealers and the house. PL takes a lot longer to play than limit and like someone mentioned earlier, Omaha players are either awesome or terrible tippers, so it's quite a gamble. They don't want people to have to fold the nut low, they'd rather split the pot multi way and hope for the best tips. LO8 is supposed to reward good dealers because if you're splitting pots 2-4 ways you're going to make way more than a hold'em game. That's the "sacrifice" the house makes because they make significantly less at that game than just about anything else in the house.