Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Getting Better While Not Playing

Hello All,

I'm at the point in my poker career where I'd like to really make a run at becoming a good poker player. I've recently found a few gems on these boards that really opened my eyes to how much I don't understand about the game, the whole "the more you know the more you realize you don't know" thing.

I'm currently playing NL100 and honestly, I don't think I'm better than 30% of the players there. I'm kind of a nit, and most of the time I play the cards, not the players, which leaves me as passive, exploitable and really not very good.

I'm pretty solid preflop, but postflop I am relatively unimaginative and I'm sure I get bluffed very often. I don't necessarily have the "burn money" mentality, but it also wouldn't affect me too much if I lost my whole roll. What I'm saying is, I'll take calculated gambles, but I'm probably not going to be pulling off too many crazy bluffs or winning plays to get people off better hands.

I will be leaving for vacation in Hawaii the first week of July, and during that time I would like to do quite a bit of reading / thinking about poker ( it's a long flight from NY to HI and back ).

My question to SSNL is, has anyone thought they've vastly improved their poker game while they were away from it for a while and not playing? These could be reading materials, or specific situational thought processes, or other exercises.

I'd really like to get better as I love the game, but I also love money and I'd like to beat the hell out of people who make too many mistakes in the game.

Thanks
Pete
Old 06-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Getting Better While Not Playing

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty solid preflop, but postflop I am relatively unimaginative and I'm sure I get bluffed very often. I don't necessarily have the "burn money" mentality, but it also wouldn't affect me too much if I lost my whole roll. What I'm saying is, I'll take calculated gambles, but I'm probably not going to be pulling off too many crazy bluffs or winning plays to get people off better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW "pulling off crazy bluffs" isn't necessary at these limits - at all. Move down for a while to a level where you aren't as concerned about losing a couple stacks. Try opening up your game a bit (calling down more often if you think it's a leak that you're getting bluffed out too often) and experiment with ways to increase your w$wsf (I get the feeling that you probably have a low w$wsf). Once you figure out some of the little ways to steal pots postflop, you're game will be much improved. It will directly help your winrate, and it will also improve your overall image and confidence at the tables. TBH I wish someone would have told ME this a couple monthes ago when I first started taking shots at 200.

[ QUOTE ]
My question to SSNL is, has anyone thought they've vastly improved their poker game while they were away from it for a while and not playing? These could be reading materials, or specific situational thought processes, or other exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's always good to take these breaks once in a while. But to answer your question about "vastly" improving ones game, I'd say no. The best way to do that at the level you're at in your poker career, is experience, experience, experience (and 2p2 of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). With that said, a study break will allow you to analyze your game and figure out how exactly you're making life easier for your opponents. Come back to the game with some ideas of how to COUNTER those tendencies, and you will definitely be a better player.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Play lots of hands and after every session, go over a review in poker tracker, see if you can notice what you did wrong (even in pots that you won). Post lots of hands here to see how your opinion of how to play a hand coincides with the general consensus of the regular winners on these boards.

That is better than any reading material that you can find.

Also, watch CR vids, they're a goldmine of information when you're really trying to step up your game.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM

grunch/

I think you should start to review your hands in PT if you don't do it already. Try to read cts' old blog for inspiration. Start from the beginning, read every single post and try to analyse your hands the same way he does.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Pete I recommend going to the HSNL forum and printing off every thread from "The Best of HSNL Sticky". There are some mind blowing threads in there with responses and arguments from excellent players. Should occupy you for at least a few hours on the plane.

Ben
Old 06-25-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW "pulling off crazy bluffs" isn't necessary at these limits - at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I shouldn't have said that ... it wasn't what I meant ... what I really meant was knowing when to get a lot more aggressive with your good but not great hands

[ QUOTE ]
Move down for a while to a level where you aren't as concerned about losing a couple stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too and crush ... honestly I most of the time chalk it up to running hot at the lower stakes ( I know, probably just results oriented against more passive players ) but I open my postflop game up a lot and stick it in the middle a lot more once I drop to NL50 ... why is this? I guess I must be afraid of the money ...

[ QUOTE ]
Try opening up your game a bit (calling down more often if you think it's a leak that you're getting bluffed out too often) and experiment with ways to increase your w$wsf (I get the feeling that you probably have a low w$wsf).

[/ QUOTE ]

My w$wsf is 41% ... my wtsd% is 26% ... are these in line? I believe the biggest problem with my game is I lose big pots and win small ones... a lot of times I can't fold the KK or AA on the 379 board facing resistance ...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, watch CR vids, they're a goldmine of information when you're really trying to step up your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you recommend any specific videos? I've been a member for a couple months and haven't had any aha! moments ...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunch/

I think you should start to review your hands in PT if you don't do it already. Try to read cts' old blog for inspiration. Start from the beginning, read every single post and try to analyse your hands the same way he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you ... I did not know about his old blog.

[ QUOTE ]

Pete I recommend going to the HSNL forum and printing off every thread from "The Best of HSNL Sticky". There are some mind blowing threads in there with responses and arguments from excellent players. Should occupy you for at least a few hours on the plane.

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you ... I hadn't looked at these.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:27 PM

post hands. then post more hands. then play more, then post more hands.

no seriously. post more hands with postflop decisions involved.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 PM

off topic but on subject

the real way to get better is to play 1 table, maybe 2 tables, completely focused. think through even the most basic decisions. 8 tabling does not get you good at poker.