Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Gary! Wise on Women?

Twice in his columns, Gary Wise seems to be attacking the women folk. This is unwise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString

Get a grip, Gary. It was a women's event. So they were hugging and complimenting each other's clothes and, dare I say it, being women. Psychological research isn't all that tells us women and men are different. Their group behavior was normal. Gary was discomforted by being in their world and being the minority. Women are more nuturing and more into connectedness, relationships. That why being a couple is more important to them. Men are more into competitivness and pecking order which fits poker well. Men and women do equally well in business management but women are more nuturing, men are more competitive.

Why do any of the men care if the women have an event? I have watched that even grow every year and it makes dynamite television. The Senior's have an event.

Women are now doing better at undergraduate, graduate, and law schools. In practical ways, they are out competing the men in getting a start on life. I would guess that women are less likely to win $500 and annouce to everyone that has to listen that they are a professional poker player and are dropping out of college.

Leave the womenfolk alone. They are a disproportionate number in the field. What would be nice to know is how many and who were knocked out by women and who knocked out women players and how much skill was involved. You all know that Dr.Pauly at TaoPoker was knocked out a gorgeous woman. Those old pasteboards don't know how low-cut your dress is. And look at this year's World Series of Poker. There is certainly no one as famous as Brandy and Vanessa. I'd love to see them play heads up. Whatever happens to them has deep inner meaning in my life. Old Gary is going to be explaining himself even more.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Gary! Wise on Women?

I agree. Personally, I believe women are great for poker. I would like to see more women in cardrooms. (Would you rather be sitting next to an attractive young woman or a obnoxious guy in a track suit that is so fat he has to sit sideways in his chair to reach his cards at the table?)

People who discourage women from playing poker are at least as dumb as the guys who berate the fish for drawing to, and making a gut-shot straight on the turn when the flop is paired with a two flush.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Is that link supposed to be helpful or what?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Gary's latest article.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:19 PM

hey guys, I'm about to head out for an important interview (interviewer, not interviewee) so this has to be fast. I love and respect women and agree that the more women play, the better it is for poker. The article says as much. Doesn't change the fact that play in the ladies event was comical by high-level tournament standards. make sure you check the comments sections on those article...there's some interesting stuff going on there.

Gary Wise
Old 06-25-2007, 12:26 PM

I don't see what women's success rate in law school, etc. has to do with poker.

Crying:Baseball::Hugging:Poker
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Gary! Wise on Women? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids
Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM

Wow, OP totally and completely missed the point of not one but TWO articles.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Gary, whatever you do, don't write an article making fun of people in a play money tourney, otherwise Johnny will have to rip you for doing so.