Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Default (weird) line check deep

Villain is 38.7/7/1.5 over a good sample. Terrible player and doesn't adjust well when deep and calls too loosely as a 0 level thinker. At the same time, he seems like an OK hand reader. He can be passive with draws but will semibluff bet them (e.g. calls cbet on flop w/ flush draw in position and when checked to on turn he'll half pot bet semibluff). As he continues to raise me, I have a feeling he has a very big hand here and it's unlikely he's pressing so hard with a draw so it's either flopped twopair or set IMO (I've seen him open limp big hands like AK so AQ/A8 isn't too out there).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($196.95)
SB ($149.70)
Hero ($286.30)
UTG ($94.50)
MP ($343.30)
CO ($189.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with X X.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $5</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

Turn: ($12.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $20...

What do you think I have here?

Edit: I changed this post to make it a bit more interesting. Ignore the bottom two posts since it sort of gives away my hand.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:34 AM

Default Re: (weird) line check deep

I like it this far, you have lots of outs and according to your read lots of implied odds. Are you sure he bets river when you hit? Cause otherwise you'd have to bet.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:36 AM

c/c Turn
Turnbet make no sense to me.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM

QJ or KT
Old 06-25-2007, 06:37 AM

How's this line with a flush draw? I had K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 AM

JTh?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM

Dont semibluffdonk vs a loose and bad player after he raised you on the flop. FE has to be close to zero here.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont semibluffdonk vs a loose and bad player after he raised you on the flop. FE has to be close to zero here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't so much of a semibluff, but rather I thought it'd make my hand less obvious to him as a flush draw. I know by betting I have close to zero FE, but I feel like it would allow me to get much more value on the river if I do hit than just playing it passively. If I check-call the turn, I don't think I'm going to get much value if a heart hits. I think he's more likely to bet the river even if a heart hits if he's this strong.

I guess here are the different possible lines:
*check/call-&gt;pot when I hit, my range is pretty much polarized against him and I think he'll likely fold here since it seems too obvious as a flush (again,he's an OK hand reader). I think the % of him betting river is pretty low since it's likely to his perception that I have a flush and also less likely to pay of a CR, so I have to lead here and hope for a call.
*bet/call-&gt;CR big, I thought this would be the best line since I'm sure he's betting the river a high % of the time if I take this line.
*bet-&gt;bet, So if didn't raise me here, my hand looks likes a flush, bluff, plus other hands that might be vbetting worse than what he possibly could have. I think I could also get a better chance of getting a call here.

If he's a drooler, then check/call is probably better, but he seems like an OK/basic hand reader.

Is this thought process reasonable?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 AM

This is not good. If he donkbets flop a lot a raise is ok since you probly will get a free card if he calls. Turn is really bad, he never folds here, I would just call if you think he pays if you hit otherwise I fold.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 AM

And I dont get why you are trying to build a pot when you dont have a hand and you only have 20-25 % chance of hitting the river.