Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Internet Connection Problem?

Hi All,

First off, I am a computer retard, just so you know.

I was browsing 2+2 Saturday morning at home and my internet connection conked out completely. And hasn't worked since.

I called the supplier today and they said there is no problem from their side.

I wasn't doing anything else other than browsing when it went down.

Any ideas on why this might happen?

When I go to IE it just says that the server cannot connect to the web and lists potential problems.

I checked all the wires and everything and all is well on that front.

Its not just IE though, its all programs that go through the internet, so defo a connection issue and not IE playing up.

I know this is very vague, but if anyone has got any ideas why this might happen then it'd be great.

(Posting from work now not home obv)

Thanks

I will add to this that the notes in the FAQ post about internet being broken and trying to ping etc. went completely over my head and that my OS is installed in the langauge of the country where I live and not in English so its pretty hard to navigate the menus... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img](
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Internet Connection Problem?

Try this:

Go to Start > Run > type "cmd" (without the quotes) > enter > this will open up a command prompt > type "ipconfig /all" > enter > copy and paste the info that is returned.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:39 AM

Thanks, will have to try tonight and post the results back tomorrow.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 07:25 AM

Double check everything is plugged in, power everything off and on again... this fixes about 50% of most computer problems [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Go to Start > Run > type "cmd" (without the quotes) > enter > this will open up a command prompt > type "ipconfig /release"

Wait 5 seconds then power off your modem or router (the box that connects your PC to the phone line) then turn it back on again. Wait another 2 minutes or so then try your internet connection again.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 AM

Hi

I powered everything off, unplugged the modem, checked all the cables, no fewer than 17 times over the weekend as I was pretty livid. and did it all again this morning.

Whats the difference with the command prompt ipconfig/release and ipconfig/all that was suggested on the prior post?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 05:28 PM

Please post your results from "ipconfig /all"
Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 PM

do you use a router? maybe your modem has a router built in (you would be able to hook more than one computer into it).

is it cable internet or DSL (phone line)?

when you go into start/run/cmd as others have sugested, after typing ipconfig/all and getting us those results, try also typing in "ping google.ca" and "ping 72.14.207.104"and show us those results.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 AM

Hi guys, I did the ipconfig/all and it came up with some stuff not in english, but it just said something like, configuration for windows IP or some other useless 1 line thing.
However, I went into some options in the start menu to play around and went into the network connections tab and then just clicked on the 'Local Area Network' and the comp thought about it for a few seconds and then it worked.

This was obviously a complete luckbox happening. But I don't understand how something went wrong in the first place....

I did the ipconfig/all at my work comp and it came up with lots of info, but at home, it was just this one line (in czech) so I haven't posted it, but anyway, it seems to be working now,

Thanks to all that replied for your time anyhow.... and if anyone would have any insight as to how it might have happened that would be great, could it be caused by clicking on too many links at once and 'overloading' the modem?

thanks again.

ps. to answer questions, I dont have a router, just a modem, and its a cable one that goes through the same box as our cable tv as we dont have a phone line.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 AM

Get a router. Your computer is probably infected with all sorts of stuff from connecting directly to the web. A router with NAT can protect you from that.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 AM

Will this happen even with firewall and other security protection?