Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Default What are the problems with running too nitty at the micro stakes??

Right now I'm running at 14.5/10.25/2.75. I would like to have my stats somewhere in the 21/18/3 kinda range, but I dont want my stats to dictate the way I play at the table. Even with my stats, I start to feel people at my table getting sick of my raises and start calling PF and also calling my c-bets on the flop.

I feel I'm being too reckless if I'm raising ~20% of my hands. I understand that playing that way will get my big hands paid off far more often than playing a 15/10 style, but I just cant bring myself to do it.

I guess I don't have a good grasp on knowing when players are just calling my c-bets to see if I actually have the goods, or if they have a monster and just want me to bury myself.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Re: What are the problems with running too nitty at the micro stakes??

This is 6max right? Open up your range on the button and cutoff if your numbers are this low. You shouldn't be open-limping at all. Read Tien's post on 6max (its in the essential reading section thinger).
Old 06-24-2007, 09:12 PM

I'm pretty sure I've open-limped maybe twice, lol. I understand its a big no-no, and read somewhere that limp/calling is setting money on fire.

This is indeed 6max. I'll read Tien's post and try opening up the button/CO ranges.

What are the actual PROBLEMS running this way?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are the actual PROBLEMS running this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

your potential winrate is lower than someone who plays more hands, and in turn you will experience greater variance. You will be playing fewer small pots, so when you get sucked out on in the few pots you play it will create longer breakeven stretches.

As you move up decent tags will abuse your tightness by stealing you blinds constantly, and simply set mining against your infrequent pfrs. playing super tight also tends to piss off the fish who want to gambool, so you may drive them away if they take notice. also its nowhere near as fun and you learn at a much slower rate as you face fewer marginal situations.

try dropping a few levels and playing 30/20 for a few hundred hands.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your potential winrate is lower than someone who plays more hands, and in turn you will experience greater variance. You will be playing fewer small pots, so when you get sucked out on in the few pots you play it will create longer breakeven stretches.

As you move up decent tags will abuse your tightness by stealing you blinds constantly, and simply set mining against your infrequent pfrs. playing super tight also tends to piss off the fish who want to gambool, so you may drive them away if they take notice. also its nowhere near as fun and you learn at a much slower rate as you face fewer marginal situations.

try dropping a few levels and playing 30/20 for a few hundred hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thank you. Everything you said makes good sense, especially with the variance, slower learning, etc.

Man I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of knowledge thats on this board...[censored] overwhelming... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 PM

You should play what makes you most comfortable. Open up your game slowly, mostly from the Button/CO. I think the results will show you that it is profitable to play looser in position, espcially if you have a good feel for post-flop play. This will build confidence and allow you to open up in EP looser, 3-bet in position PF lighter, etc, over time. Just don't try to do it all at once.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 PM

Before you open up your raising range, open up your general hand range. Try a 22 / 12 style. (raise all PP, Suited broadway from any pos). Once you get comfortable with that, include suited connectors in the CO / Button and that should bring you up to around 15 - 16 PFR%.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 PM

IMO there is nothing wrong with running nitty at microstakes if you have good table selection. But raising alot more does have the benefits of table image and you get paid off more often. As a balance it creates more variance though.

I do think that the following posts helped out with my game.
Tiens as mentioned earlier and
Pokey on Blind stealing
dbitel isolates limpers
Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you open up your raising range, open up your general hand range. Try a 22 / 12 style. (raise all PP, Suited broadway from any pos). Once you get comfortable with that, include suited connectors in the CO / Button and that should bring you up to around 15 - 16 PFR%.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising QJs from all positions is a leak!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

raising QJs from all positions is a leak!

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course everything is relative to your position and villains, but against a table of unknowns that most definately is NOT a leak. Please explain why ... or am I being lvld? lol