Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Middle Set, 4 Handed, tough spot

Had a tough hand tonight... playing live 1/2 PLO8 4 handed, have about $475

Straddle and get 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4 way limp pot. - $16 in

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets $5
BB raises to $20
Hero Calls
Button Calls
SB pushes for total of $60 (or $40 more after calling the raise)
BB pushes for total of $95

So what do you do?

Variables:
SB is new to the game and all over the place
BB is not probably doing this without the Q9. He would not play JJ that hard
Button is the best player in the game, and has about $550. I figure he's on some kind of double draw, with a nut flush draw, but no straight - Though he may also play JJ like this.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Middle Set, 4 Handed, tough spot

Both the SB and the BB are all-in after this flop, and it's down to you and the best player in the game who has position over you and he has you covered...it's a fold. If you hit your hand on the turn, you don't stand to collect another dime, and if you check the turn (which most of the times you're going to do), then I would expect that a good player is likely to put pressure on you. I wouldn't want to play a middle set with no redraw for my whole stack when my stack is actually worth something.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 AM

Interestingly I would think that SB has the nut flush draw rather than Button, with Button more likely to hold JJ. Could be either way though.
In any case, with heavy 4-way action I think the odds that *someone* has JJ and someone else Q9xx are quite good, and you should fold.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:09 PM

Well, like I said, the SB had no idea what was going on most of the time. He's just as likely to make this bet with 10 8 3 2 as with JJ or Q 9. His favorite saying was "I had you on the flop".
Old 06-23-2007, 02:46 PM

I did wind up folding the hand. Though it was a slow decision. With about $230 in the pot, I was getting almost 2.5 to 1 knowing I was against at least 1 made straight. But I knew if I called, and the button had what I put him on (which he did) then he would be priced way in. I knew I couldn't call a bet if some kind of random club or another face card came on the turn. Plus I was wary that he would slowplay a huge hand, knowing the donk in SB would push with very little, and he could trap me.

The hand was somewhat dirty in that the only blockers in play were for the better straight.

Board was: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB had: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Button, who called the $95 more, had: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Naturally, you could've probably guessed the 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] came on the turn. I even caught another out, if I had needed it, with the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the river.