Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Default OT/BBV: Balancing Poker and Life

<font color="red">BEATS </font>

I busted out of a rebuy tournament this morning before the second break after amassing t30,000 before the add-on! Who does that?

At first I chalked it up to being unlucky and running bad.

QQ &lt; AK. All Villain's chips went in on an all under flop only to catch running kings FTW! So instead of having 40K+ and the chip lead I was under 20K

I donked away the rest of my chips on a reraise all in w/ AK and was snap called by someone that barely had me covered w/ 77. Apparently he didn't notice that the 2 times I showed down hands they were QQ and AA so (obv) he knew his 7s were the nutz!

I'm also in the middle of 3 month/40+ buy in downswing in STTs. I've watched a 14% roi tumble to 5%.

What's changed, how did this happen?

<font color="blue">BRAGS </font>

Enter my 8 week old son Jonah

<font color="green">VARIANCE </font>

Over the first 2 1/2 years of playing on-line poker I only had 2 losing months both of which were barely negligible.

Unfortunately, I just posted consecutive losing months in April and May and unless something good happens it may be June as well.

All the while I've been chalking this up to running bad. It is in fact poker and these things happen.

But, the truth of the matter is that I don't review, discuss or post hand histories anymore, I don't have time to run certain situations through SnGPT, etc.

I honestly thought that the transition to fatherhood would not be that difficult on my poker life.... I thought wrong.

I put a lot of time and effort into poker over the last three years and it paid off in spades (clubs, hearts and diamonds)!!

If you're a professional poker player I really think the balancing act is easier. You have the time to accommodate a new child.

In my situation, I just can't devote that time to the game like I once did before. I miss it and it may be a long while for me to dedicate myself again...

... but I think I can wait [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: OT/BBV: Balancing Poker and Life

Hey Kev,

Beautiful baby!

Life changes a lot when you have a child, as you've found out. Obviously Jonah is what is most important. You can balance both, just not the same as before he was born.

When playing poker you need to ask yourself what is most important... the action (playing as much as you can) or winning (as much as you can).

You know how important studying is to be a winning player and to avoid developing leaks, so if you want to win, you need to study. Sure you have less time, so you have to play less.

I have a 3 1/2 year old. So I know what you're going through. Basically my weeknight routine is after I put him to bed, I play a set or two (45-90 min), then I review my HH, use SNGW etc (15-30 min) then go to bed. On the weekend I might play for 60-90 minutes while he is napping, and at night I might play more sets and not necessarily review all of my HH's, but I try.

I am playing less poker, but I am also winning more.

Remember that Jonah comes first [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck and see you at the tables.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Cute baby. My girls (5 and 7) were oohing and ahhing and kissing the computer screen.

Poker and a baby? Remember Eastbay?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Your situation is completely normal, so definitely don't feel pressured to study, etc. You can still beat the game and have fun during the little time you do play without needing the added pressures. Some things in life are much more important. Congrats on the awesome family!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:39 PM

just don't make a baby avatar on pokerstars and it's all good!

btw, congtrats on shipping a cool baby
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 PM

I appreciate the advice and responses very much and can always count on you to say the right things.

Much [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the 2+2/STT family!

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the advice and responses very much and can always count on you to say the right things.

Much [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for the 2+2/STT family!

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget Poker [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]Devote your life to providing for your Family [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Maybe Jonah will growup to be a Dr. &amp; a guru of 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Great Pics = Grats = Regards to All
Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Kev - Great pics! What a good looking boy! Any idea who the father is??? (j/k)

Congrats on the addition to your family. You are going to become a much better, stronger and wiser person each and every day thanks to Jonah. I'm actually a little jealous of you when I think back to when my son was a tiny baby. Awesome times.

Yep, your schedule will change and things will be erratic in nature when it comes to being able to play (or play correctly).

You know the exact moment where you are deep in thought and "in the zone" where you are about to make a critical decision in a tourney?? Yah, well, Jonah will choose that exact split second to wake up needing a bottle or a change of diapers. Insta-tilt creation machines those babies....

Rinse, repeat ~10k times over the next couple of years.

Devote 100% of your attention to poker when pokering and 100% of your attention to your family when not playing. I haven't mastered that concept yet, so my game suffers.

Anyway, best wishes to you, your wife and wonderful son. You will make many adjustments in your life in the coming years, your playing/studying schedule is just one of them.

Good luck! Slacka
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Congrats on the kid - he's very cute. I'm also a new dad and part-time poker player. I am also struggling with poor results recently but I think my struggles have more to do with the changes that have taken place on-line than with becoming a dad. It's just tougher to achieve good results all around for everybody now, IMO.

One thing I did notice about my own play is that I have some trouble playing patiently. Since I don't get to play as often I seem to want to get involved with more hands than I should.

In any case, I'm glad poker is a fun diversion for me now rather than a priority. (Makes it easier for me to deal with being a breakeven player. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) It seems to me you have your priorities in order.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea who the father is???

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]