Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 AM

Default $25NL - Top Pair

Only played a few orbits and didnt have any reads on villain.

Ive hit top pair with good kicker on this flop but I dont have a spade. I was wondering if this was a bad fold as the paired board on the turn gave him an opportunity to make a bluff especially if he should have a flush draw. Should i have called and evaluated on the river ie: fold to a 4th spade or c/c a blank. The min raise though is always worrying in these situations.

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.15/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $24.60
UTG+1: $30
MP1: $9.62
Hero: $25
MP3: $13.35
CO: $19.60
Button: $33.31
SB: $21.16
BB: $6.97

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1</font>, 2 folds, Button calls, 2 folds.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2.4, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $1.75</font>, Button calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($5.9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $6</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: $3 returned to Button.

Results:
Final pot: $11.9
Old 06-22-2007, 05:53 AM

Default Re: $25NL - Top Pair

You are only really ahead of a flush draw here, I can't see any other cards villain could have that you beat, but there are plenty that beat you.

Personally I c/f this turn but I don't mind the way you played it because you got information for your turn bet. Calling the turn raise may look superficially attractive because of the 5-1 pot odds, but I think your opponent probably made it so to keep you in the hand. Villains on a draw would have taken the cheap card, no?

I think you are behind more than you are ahead even without the extra spade. So, although it maybe feels weak to fold to such a small raise, I think it was probably for the best.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: $25NL - Top Pair

I'd make it $2 on the flop, your $1.70 bet looks a bit weak, especially when you follow it up with a half pot size bet on the turn.