Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Default 100r Live Sattelite Tourney - Blind Steal turns into 2pair

45 players left - 22 get a seat to the 2000 Euro Buy In Main Event.

My Stack is a little over 14.000 (12k is avg.)
Blinds are 400-800 with a running ante 100

I came to this table 20 Hands ago, and never had the chance to steal the blinds - so I decided to attack the weak tight BB with any 2 cards if there is a chance to steal.

I am on the Button with J5o and everybody folds to me. I make it 2000 to go. BB thinks a while and calls.

Flop is J57r - BB pushes - he had me covered.
Hero ?

The BB never made a Move, while I am on the table, so my thoughts were that he had a Jack with at least good kicker.

So I have 2 questions:

Given my reads, is it good to try to steal even with J5 in this situation or do I have to wait for a better hand ?

Is it good to call in this spot, even when I have him on a lone jack ?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: 100r Live Sattelite Tourney - Blind Steal turns into 2pair

When the opportunity to steal comes in, it doesnīt really matter, what cards you have. I like your steal, given the situation.

I assume that your opponent did not made a set, as he would try to lure you into the pot. As you have "top" two-pair, a J or Pocket Tens or Nines are very likely. In this case you are a huge favourite. In case he has a PP, he draws on 2 outs, in case he has a J, your only concern is him hitting his kicker or the board pairing for a higher two-pair, but this is thin.

Get your chips in when you have an edge and in this case it isnīt even small. So call. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 AM

Thanks Tackleberry for the advice - I am very new to Tournament Poker (playing most of the time SSNL/MSNL) - maybe I am to much results oriented but he had 77 turned quads and I finished 45 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I don't blame to much bout my call, but I insta-called his pus hwithout ever thinking I am not good here.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:02 AM

How quickly did he go allin? What did his body language say? The board is super dry and he should know you're range is fairly wide preflop(maybe not J5o wide) and the flop likely missed you. I don't see how you can't call here. Pushing a set is really bad here and most people try to slowplay their monsters. I'd give him a range of AJ/KJ/QJ/JT, trapping AA/KK/QQ, maybe 88-TT, A7/A5 taking advantage of the dry board. If he's calling wide 75/64 and 98 for the double gutter are also possibilities and who knows maybe he's pushing air or ace high. I haven't played enough live to really understand what his push means but I don't see any way you can fold this.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:15 AM

Ofcourse its an easy call w/ 2 pair on de flop but u better not steal with hands like J5.
The chance of flopping a decent hand or draw is to slim and de button is known as the steal-position so u likely to find resistans.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... but u better not steal with hands like J5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I like it more to steal with crap as it makes my following decision easier. OP told us that the BB was "weak tight", so it doesnīt really matter, what cards you have. Better steal with J5 here and know that a call from BB is a bullet in your head than steal with ATo, getting called from the weak tight BB and then face a donkbet on a A73-flop ... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]