Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Default tp, ok kicker 5/45 on PS

surprisingly, no one is completely nuts in this game ... showing solid hands. No one has made any moves yet either ... pretty much just playing their cards

What is my play here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t1395)
Hero (t4010)
UTG (t2450)
UTG+1 (t1615)
MP1 (t4120)
MP2 (t1520)
CO (t2035)
Button (t2850)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t300, Button calls t300, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t150.

Flop: (t1275) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t450</font>, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: tp, ok kicker 5/45 on PS

Tough spot, such a bad kicker if you are playing on a solid table. MP1 just min-raised preflop though, which generally screams monster or "I'm scared until the flop, so let me just risk a tiny bit". If Villain min-raises a lot, I may pot raise the flop (or even resteal all in preflop from your position). If it is the first time, I would be lost and probably just call to see what the turn brings. I've been up against KQ more times than I can count w/ KJ lately, so I tend to approach this type of flop a little unsure right now.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM

If you're going to just c/f this flop I don't know why you're calling PF. I know a raise would let you know where you're at but it's also rarely getting called by worse hands, so I'd be inclined to just call and reevaluate on the turn.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:33 PM

What have people been showing down after min raising preflop? Is that the standard raise at your table or is that really out of the ordinary?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What have people been showing down after min raising preflop? Is that the standard raise at your table or is that really out of the ordinary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening bets have been minimum or up to 5xBB ... hasn't been a pattern. I doubt it means a thing.

No one has shown a monster after a min bet ... doesn't mean it couldn't happen though
Old 06-21-2007, 02:42 PM

I probably would have led the flop and c/f if he calls. The way you played it I would make a crying call and see what happens next.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have led the flop and c/f if he calls. The way you played it I would make a crying call and see what happens next.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ... lead the flop with how much and what do I really want to do when I bet?

I agree Dunk ... to check fold is a mistake and I have no intention of doing so. I really dislike KJo but I had great odds ... so easily dominated and when you hit it can be such a disaster
Old 06-21-2007, 04:39 PM

I think the flop is fine if you call. He coudl have KQ, but his bet is v weak so 66-TT ish isn't out of the question nor are flush draws. Possibly KT/KJ. I'd check the turn too and if he bets small against I'll probably call. I doubt people are three barrel bluffing at this level so you can safely c/f the river.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok ... lead the flop with how much and what do I really want to do when I bet?

I agree Dunk ... to check fold is a mistake and I have no intention of doing so. I really dislike KJo but I had great odds ... so easily dominated and when you hit it can be such a disaster

[/ QUOTE ]

I like leading out for standard 1/3 - 1/2 pot size bets on the flop and the turn if called, yes I know we are screwed if he has KQ, AK will most likely raise so we can get away from it there if we had to. Am I wrong here? Or do I run into KQ or a very passivly played AK here too often?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop is fine if you call. He coudl have KQ, but his bet is v weak so 66-TT ish isn't out of the question nor are flush draws. Possibly KT/KJ. I'd check the turn too and if he bets small against I'll probably call. I doubt people are three barrel bluffing at this level so you can safely c/f the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks ... this is exactly the train of thought I need to keep in mind.