Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:30 AM

Default flopped top 2 vs loose passive cl, slowplay?

I lost the hand history because the converter isnt working.

Stars $22 mtt, 70 left and 63 make the money, I have 15k and cl villian has 23k. He is a Loose passive player hitting flops like a motha, usually playing strong hands slow then waking up on turn or river.

blinds are 300/600/25
im in MP with AJs

villian limps utg, I make it 2400 to go. all folds back around to villian who calls. pot is about 6k.

flop is AJ7 with two spades. villian checks to me... would it be better to slowplay or bet out and see if I can get some action from a weaker ace, Jack, flush draw, or gutshot draw?

I think this may be a leak of mine, anytime I flop a big hand like this, I automatically think that I should slow play and try to get more chips from a weaker hand. which alot of the times leads to some ridicilous suckout.

ok carrying on, action goes check check on flop, turn is the Ten of freaking spades... c'mon... seriously? he checks to me I lead out for 1800, and he pops it 5k... now im stuck again
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: flopped top 2 vs loose passive cl, slowplay?

I definetly c-bet here since since villan could eaisly have hit a piece of the flop. People want to slowplay all the time when they hit their hands and its a big mistake. Slowplaying requires the right hand, the right board, and the right opponent(s).

Your turn bet is so weak you can't really give villan crdit just b/c of the check-raise. Call and then call a bet on any non spade river, unless you have the As obv...in which case I'd prolly 3bet push teh turn.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM

I bet 4k so that when turn comes, my all-in seems like a move and gets paid off.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Yeah it's best to bet the flop, meh 4000. If villian has anything he might come along and you can value bet him all the way. I used to slowplay alot and then realized it really leaves value out there long term. Pricing out draws is also a benefit.

As for the turn your line looks really weak and is reraisable by about ATC so I call and see what villian does on the river.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 AM

If flop was AJ7 rainbow, then checking obviously makes more sense, although is still dangerous as if a Q, K or T falls on the turn this both kills the action and puts you in an awkward spot.

With this flop you definately need to bet here as the flop is dangerous and he's not folding an Ace (and probably not a flush draw) to a single bet. Don't let hands like KQ etc get a free card, just bet your standard c-bet amount (for me would be around 2/3 pot so 3.5k - 4k).
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM

ya thats a drawy board w/ the flush and str8 possibilities... i'd make my usual C bet. here i'd pot it or make it 3/4 the pot. turn is difficult, as it hits any draw villain might've been on, however like you said he's LAG and its a great card for him to bluff at. i'd call and reevaluate river.