Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 04:04 AM

Default NL100: Overpair facing shove

Guy seems solid, is this a standard B/f situation. Comments on how Pf was played appreciated as well.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($45.60)
BB ($70.95)
Hero ($108.35)
UTG+1 ($55.55)
MP1 ($78.50)
MP2 ($191.95)
MP3 ($18.90)
CO ($38.50)
Button ($95.70)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($21.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $16</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $85.7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $123.20
Old 06-21-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Overpair facing shove

Preflop is fine.
I dont lead out this flop. Check and see what villain does. If he makes a small bet i'll call and probably lead the turn on a blank.
If he over bets the pot i'll suspect AK/AQ and think about a c/r.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:19 AM

Preplop raise already a bit agressive for me UTG. Fine, if you are on a passive board.
On the flop raise is okay, but I would probably call also to see how villain acts.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preplop raise already a bit agressive for me UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Open raising TT UTG is a bit agressive for you. Please elaborate?
TT is ahead of a lot of random hands here.
Any raise is for value
Old 06-21-2007, 10:20 AM

I think the villain probably have a bigger pair, but if he is a loose player or a donk, i might call, otherwise i just fold. c/c the flop is a good idea.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM

Good fold.

Unless you have some clear read that villain is super loose, what do you put him on here? Against a typical opponent, I rarely see three-bets preflop with junk. Some guys get cute with middle pairs here and reraise light, but they are less common... My guess is that you're up against AA-TT, AK, AQ..

So the flop is a rainbow mess of undercards. You bet 3/4 of the pot and villain pushes. Sounds and looks a lot like KK-JJ to me. He thinks he's ahead, but doesn't mind taking the pot right now if you fold. He might be scared that you've got AK or something and doesn't want to give you a chance to spike an overcard. QQ or JJ would play the hand each step of the way villain does here...

You bet the flop and got a big raise. Seems like villain is clearly saying, again, that he has a strong hand, probably a big pair.

If you were thinking about calling, I'm guessing you only beat a bluff, AK, or AQ. You chop with the other TT. You're crushed by AA-JJ, 99, and 88. Not much else makes a lot of sense here vs. a typical opponent.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM

Whether or not you raise UTG or just limp is really game dependant and doing either either is probably fine in a normal game. I think the fact that you aren't super deep is probably more of a reason to raise it up.

Since you got 3 bet though it is a debateable whether you should call the raise. You are dominated by most hands that would 3 bet presumably and you are kinda on the borderline as to whether you have enough implied odds to call for set value. If you think he might 3 bet with AQ that makes it bit more attractive, but you will still have tough decisions on the flop if you don't spike a ten.

On the flop you probably have to fold. It's not totally impossible he did this with AK, but it is probably more likely he has an overpair and you are drawing thin.

Edit: If you were OK with getting all-in on this flop, a check/raise all-in would have been the way to go.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM

you should never lead this flop if you aren't going to call his shove. that's a really weak play. there are many players who would shove over with ATC (AK AQ JJ+). you're pretty much just giving up the pot when you go into b/f mentality right here.

i would c/c flop and maybe c/c turn/give up on the river. this is nl 100, few would bet 2 streets with UI AK/AQ.

as is, good fold. His small 3-bet means it probably isn't AK.