Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 01:49 PM

Default is donking this flop stupid?

Its the first hand when i sat down. I dont know how else would i play it on the flop, check raise seems bad because i am out of position. Check call seems too weak, and i can not just check fold. So i chose to donk

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.50/$1
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, 7 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (8.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to UTG+1.

Results:
Final pot: 5.25BB
Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Default Re: is donking this flop stupid?

It sucks, but I just check/fold the flop. The only hand you stand a chance of beating is TT. For a donk or check/raise to be worthwhile, he has to either have TT (which he will probably fold giving you no value) or KK/QQ which he has to fold. With the PF cap by Villain and that flop, you really don't beat much.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 PM

yes
Old 06-20-2007, 03:14 PM

this is why i almost never 3 bet or caps OOP..
more money to make trapping them heads up and losing less when u have a flop like this
Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more money to make trapping them heads up and losing less when u have a flop like this

[/ QUOTE ]

Results oriented thinking much?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm going to return to being Mr. Variety here and saying that I think smooth calling here PF has some advantages versus particularly thinking opponents. However, I'm agreeing with kerowo that "almost never 3betting or capping OOP" is a mistake. If you're getting fancy, add a few tricks onto your regular solid tactics. Don't add a few solid tactics onto your regular tricks.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3 betting/capping QQ here, and in most other cases. The only situation I might even think of not 3 betting/capping QQ pre-flop is if raise and 3-bet came from separate people, and even then I'm probably raising.

I'd check/fold this. He's capping (most of the time) with QQ+ (maybe throw in JJ and on the outside TT), AKo, and AKs. We are drawing to 2 outs for the Queens and maybe 1 for the longshot straight.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is bad. You're giving up a lot of value if you're not 3betting things OOP (especially multiway or BSB) such as when your opponent has a good, but second best premium hand or if the flop scares them into not paying off postflop.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM

we are in the blinds....
if i raise from mid and then been 3-bet from late position its fine cap it.
but in the blinds ,i can never have pos, on anyone and get outplayed pretty easy unless i flop big.
QQ is just a pair,of course it all depends on what kind of player he is anyway...but vs solid player i just call in BB with those.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we are in the blinds....
if i raise from mid and then been 3-bet from late position its fine cap it.
but in the blinds ,i can never have pos, on anyone and get outplayed pretty easy unless i flop big.
QQ is just a pair,of course it all depends on what kind of player he is anyway...but vs solid player i just call in BB with those.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a mistake. We are talking about the 3rd best starting hand in the game, it is most likely the best hand at the moment and not raising here because "it's an A/K magnet" is throwing away money.