Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Switching Up Table Image/Game Plan Mid-Session

I've discovered a rather annoying trend in my game over the past few months, particularly when playing live NL cash game..

After feeling out the table for a few minutes its pretty easy to discern whether I want to play on the tighter side or the looser side during my time at the table..

So, ill go through the motions, usually build up a solid stack playing under one consistent image for the first hour or two, and do just fine..

However, once in a while i decide to switch it up mid-session...Big mistake.

Nearly every time I start playing a bit looser (for no particular reason) once establishing a tightish image, I find myself in some extremely difficult situations...

This seems to happen to me on a regular basis, and I suppose the reason is, its not ideal to play loose when everyone else at the table is playing loose as well.

Im curious to hear some thoughts on switching up strategy/table image just for the sake of switching it up...

What sort of advantages do you extract from changing your game up in the middle of a session?

Is a change only necessary in reaction to a change in opponents play, or do you change up your style of play mid-session regardless?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Switching Up Table Image/Game Plan Mid-Session

Don't think, just play.

Some tables I run 31/19, others 25/22, others 19/12...At the same time. Just go with what feels right and don't over-think it.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Changing your play is great. It makes you less predictable and will make you more money if you do it right.

I used find myself in difficult spots when I got involved in big pots oop. Just because you are playing loose it doesnt mean it is a good idea to raise 98s UTG. IMHO
Old 06-20-2007, 12:40 PM

morph with the table dynamics, if you suddenly change from tight to loose you'll be in the dark as to whether they're adjusting to you or just picking up hands.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think, just play.

Some tables I run 31/19, others 25/22, others 19/12...At the same time. Just go with what feels right and don't over-think it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound advice, but sometimes "what feels right" is simply an urge to get into the action in front of you.. Once you're up chips, the urge to loosen up and play more pots is always there..

I think it prudent to mold yourself into the best possible image for your given table, and stick to it.. Wouldnt you agree?

For me, personally, some form of discipline is necessary here , or else I will find myself loosening up regardless of my opponents play
Old 06-20-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Changing your play is great. It makes you less predictable and will make you more money if you do it right.

I used find myself in difficult spots when I got involved in big pots oop. Just because you are playing loose it doesnt mean it is a good idea to raise 98s UTG. IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Id say many people dont realize that good position not only limits the hands in front of you, but it also forces the hands behind you into making a raise or call before you act..

A flatcall preflop can be anything, and will usually commit you as a raiser to a continuation bet on the flop..but by being in good position, your preceding opponents are forced into telling you something about their hand early..or face the consequences of limping with a hand like AQ in early posish
Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it prudent to mold yourself into the best possible image for your given table, and stick to it.. Wouldnt you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right. If everyone is limping, jump on that train if you're good with post-flop play. If people are folding everything preflop, bet more hands. I tend to loosen up against 18/15 tags because they'll barely ever call me out of position. It's probably their biggest exploitable flaw...I just steal steal steal.