Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:21 AM

Default Aces -- ugly turn

10 handed live 20. Villain and hero played a few sessions together and know each other's play. Villain is a tight, moderately aggressive ABC-type player who doesn't get very cute and is unlikely to make a play at the pot. His read of hero as very loose/aggressive is oversimplified but decent. BB is an unknown who seems laggy and is running well.

Hero in MP raises 2 limpers with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain 3 bets in MP+1. It is folded to BB who calls 2 cold as do the limpers. Hero just calls figuring capping would be equivalent to turning his hand face up. (cap is 3 raises)
5 players 15 SB
The flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Its checked to hero who donks expecting villain to pop it. The villain, however, just calls as do BB and 1 limper.
4 players 19 SB
The turn is an ugly looking 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB suddenly donks and the limper folds. Plan? What about preflop/flop?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Aces -- ugly turn

Raise, unless original turn bettor is capable of three betting with a pair and a flush draw. Then calling or folding are both reasonable I guess.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero just calls figuring capping would be equivalent to turning his hand face up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:27 AM

I'd just cap pre-flop. I'd also cap hands liek QQ, AKs so its not completely utnring my hand up. If there were less opponents in this hand calling has more value, but here there are 4 other players- just get the bets in now.

Flop is fine.

I like flat calling on the turn and raise/folding any river depending on what villian does on the turn.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
10 handed live 20. Villain and hero played a few sessions together and know each other's play. Villain is a tight, moderately aggressive ABC-type player who doesn't get very cute and is unlikely to make a play at the pot. His read of hero as very loose/aggressive is oversimplified but decent. BB is an unknown who seems laggy and is running well.

Hero in MP raises 2 limpers with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain 3 bets in MP+1. It is folded to BB who calls 2 cold as do the limpers. Hero just calls figuring capping would be equivalent to turning his hand face up. ( cap is 3 raises)
5 players 15 SB
The flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Its checked to hero who donks expecting villain to pop it. The villain, however, just calls as do BB and 1 limper.
4 players 19 SB
The turn is an ugly looking 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB suddenly donks and the limper folds. Plan? What about preflop/flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a multiway pot and you are playing limit holdem. Not capping here is burning money. Nobody cares what you have just what they can make.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero in MP raises 2 limpers with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain 3 bets in MP+1. It is folded to BB who calls 2 cold as do the limpers. Hero just calls figuring capping would be equivalent to turning his hand face up. (cap is 3 raises)
5 players 15 SB
4 players 19 SB

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be "very loose/aggressive" and yet making a 4-bet cap in a multiway pot means you have to have AA?

You need to cap here and gas the whole way through until somebody raises you on one of the BB streets.

As played you are in a pretty tough spot but you should probably just call because if for some reason you have BB beat he usually has a decent diamond so there is no dire need to charge the guy behind you to draw.

BTW- I have no idea why you are calling that guy the villain since it's BB and his potential flush/set/2pair who should worry you.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd also cap hands liek... so its not completely utnring my hand up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 06-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Raise the turn. Big pot, i don't think this is that close. If button has JdJx or something, it would be great to get him to fold. BB could very easily be feeling his way out with a weak K. May not fold if his kicker is a diamond, but i think the benefit of folding out button, possibly killing a 5 outer too from bb is well worth it. I don't think u get overcalls by button with hands u want overcalls from either here. I find it difficult for him to overcall with TT-QQ w/ no diamond.

And of course cap PF.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Boy, did I misplay this hand! And, incidentally, saved a lot of money in the process. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
How can you be "very loose/aggressive" and yet making a 4-bet cap in a multiway pot means you have to have AA? You need to cap here and gas the whole way through until somebody raises you on one of the BB streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say I was, I said villain's read of me was. I play a spectrum of very loose/super aggressive to very tight/moderate aggresssive depending on a number of things.

I probably should've capped preflop but my Aces have been cracked twice already during this session, and I decided to be a little cautious. I also got very suspicious of the villain's flop call. He had no reason to put me on Aces as I never capped preflop. He was in a perfect spot ro raise and protect his hand but neglected to do so.

I folded to BB's turn bet. The villain won the hand with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. He flopped TPTK with nut flush draw and got there on the turn. BB paid off the turn raise and the river bet. She flopped a set and the board never paired. My Aces were beat by either of them.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero just calls figuring capping would be equivalent to turning his hand face up. (cap is 3 raises)

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG it's multiway, who gives a [censored] if they know you have a good hand in a 20 bet pot?