Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Do I call this?

Stars $11/180, final table, 5 left

Villain's image seems LAG based on the fact that he plain old likes to see raised pots. Likes to bluff turn and dry flops w/ any pp. Seems extremely active, but after 125 hands on same table, 25%/15%/1AF. Is this an easy call, easy fold, or a "feeling" spot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t3000 (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t25486)
MP (t63786)
Button (t61916)
SB (t57378)
Hero (t61434)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t25336</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero ???
Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Do I call this?

Forget about his flop play, etc. What has he been doing with this stack and these blinds? I.e., how often is he pushing? Also, what are the antes? This is really close IMO and I would probably lean to calling.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:38 PM

He generally raised 4bb preflop, or plain shoved. It's difficult to put him on a range because I've seen him shove with QQ, 92os, KTs, and 77...
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM

So you have him covered, are way ahead of his range and at the worst probably have two live overcards

I call
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He generally raised 4bb preflop, or plain shoved. It's difficult to put him on a range because I've seen him shove with QQ, 92os, KTs, and 77...

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this you need to call.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen him shove with QQ, 92os, KTs, and 77...

[/ QUOTE ]

Call PLZ.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's difficult to put him on a range because I've seen him shove with QQ, 92os, KTs, and 77...

[/ QUOTE ]

You just put him on a range.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM

I call here...
Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM

shortstacks love to push from UTG. In general at a final table people call too tight. Pushing from UTG has several advantages, your stack impacts the caller significantly more than if you wait until even the next hand where you pay the blind. Next hand you pay the blind also which concretely diminishes your stack. UTG pushes get the tightest calling ranges since people should be pushing the tightest since the most people are yet to act. If you call and are beat, you still have a stack you can fight with, since the other three stacks are all so close, and at the same time if you call and win, you will be a very big advantage since the other stacks are all so similar.

The 92 is the nail of course, but even without that in the range you still saw a 77. That means he must be 12% wide, and AJo is 47/53 against 12%, and he is likely wider. Theres that much in overlay in blinds and antes right? I think this is a pretty easy call

Oh and theres this live player I have played several tournies with that seems to do quite well in the cities at the NL tournies at canterbury, TI, and turtle lake, his comment about making a call with a bigger stack with ace high is this... Any time a player has about an M of 6 or less or a third of his stack or less he is perfectly willing to call as long as he has ATo or better. Most of the time a player that short is perfectly willing to push every pair and every ace they get.

Its a truly horrific pushing range, its very unsound, but its simply true that a lot of live players have it programmed that they should just push Any pair, Any Ace, and all Broadway JTo+ Thats a 27.2% range in pstove, and it is not at all a good practice... but of course figuring out proper push ranges is hard work, and you have to do all that math and whatnot... so people take shortcuts and just say you know what whenever my stack gets down to push or fold, ill just push all pairs, all aces, and any time both my cards are ten or better, and they do OK, since people generally play too tight, and at least they are pushing 27% range which is decently wide... Anyway....
Long story short, ATo is 55/45 against 22+A2o+,A2s+,JTo+
so its a good size edge against the range, not to mention the blinds overlay.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Its a truly horrific pushing range, its very unsound, but its simply true that a lot of live players have it programmed that they should just push Any pair, Any Ace, and all Broadway JTo+ Thats a 27.2% range in pstove, and it is not at all a good practice...

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you on this being necessarily horrific ... depending on position, stacks, blinds and antes it can be an exceptionally profitable range when you consider fold equity