Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Default No wonder there aren\'t as many fish

Damn...trying to reload for the first time since the legislation (can't help it that I'm a donk about bankroll mgmt). This is a royal pain. Already been on the phone for 15 min now with ePassporte. They don't want to take my money I guess.

Now the guy is telling me THEY are blocking my deposit request and need to open a new ticket for some additional security measures they are taking with my bank...whatever...7-10 business days to resolve.

Guess it's time to search the FAQs, but I can't believe a company that makes money off of these transactions wants to make it so goshdarned hard for me to use their service.

It's almost enough to make me wish I was European...then I remember about the taxes.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: No wonder there aren\'t as many fish

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost enough to make me wish I was British...those bastards don't even pay taxes on gambling winnings.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 PM

Yeah but what about the non-income related taxes and the high cost on living. $ price = £ price.

It is actually cheaper for me to go on vacation in the us than live in the uk for the a month.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Heard of exchange rates? You seem to be pointing to a weak dollar as if it meant something to UK citizens.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but what about the non-income related taxes and the high cost on living. $ price = £ price.

It is actually cheaper for me to go on vacation in the us than live in the uk for the a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is VERY dependent on where you live in the UK, and where you go on vacation, but whatev. I lived in England for awhile, so I get what you are saying.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM

We need an FAQ about how to get money onto the various sites. It would be nice if it were kept updated.

Is there any reason not to do this (unwanted disclosure, etc.)?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:59 PM

No JimmyV, putting the exchange rate to one side the cost of living in the UK is huge in comparison to most other countries in the world, even if you don't live in the London, and in comparison to the average wage.

Everything is taxed, and even double taxed (I kid you not), so even if you are making a income tax free living you are still paying out all the time. Besides the state of the dollar is terrible for a UK poker player.

Plus there is pressue on everything, which increases the costs. So for instance housing costs are beyond a huge proportion of the population. Even in a normal bog standard town a standalone house is going to cost $600k-750k (and again consider how strong the £/$ exchange rate is) set against an average income of $40-50k. We are not talking some mansion either, we are talking about a regular 3 bedroom detached house with a little bit of garden. A similar house in the US would cost $200-300k.

How about $10 a gallon of gas, of which pretty much all of it is tax, and that is with a weak dollar. If it was at the rate a few years ago it would be more like $15 a gallon. And people in the US are feeling the effects of a $3-4 a gallon costs.

I know that scandos are highly taxed, but they are also on average far better paid that in the UK, and the state providers superior services.

The $ price of something in the US, is the £ price in the UK. It pretty much always has been, even though many of the items come the same distance from the same factory in the far east So imagine when the exchange was was 1/1.54 rather than 1/2.

It has been cheaper for quite a while for people to get on the plane to the US and buy goods and bring them back to the UK, than buy them in UK stores (Assuming the nice people at customs don't stop you and ask for import duty).
Old 06-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Who wants to use their government as an agenet to buy services for them? They are guranteed not to do it efficiently and if they meet your needs it won't be because they bothered to ask you. The absolute worst service to buy from a government is retirement savings. Pretty much the only entity worse at managing a bankroll than me would be Uncle Sam.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:20 PM

just use your credit card, mang.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:25 PM

Mutiger, that is all well and good and I agree on the whole with you.

Except for two rather important things.

If in fact you buying services such as health care of a private company are they truly going to have you best interests at heart? or the share price? You could argue that governments don't necessarily either, but there is a lot of people pressure on them.

Secondly, what about people on low incomes who can't afford services such as health care and education?