Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Let\'s find ways to dismiss American workers

I haven't posted in a long time, but I read this forum all the time. I thought this video might generate some good discussion. I'll let it speak for itself...

Link
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Let\'s find ways to dismiss American workers

This irritates me. There are ALREADY laws that prevent companies from hiring the most qualified employee if that worker happens to be foreign-born. We've got these laws that make companies blow money on lawyers and jump through dumb hoops. And now we have propaganda pieces like this that demonize companies for complying with the law and doing their best to find the most qualified, most suitable worker.

Give me a break. Exactly how many advantages does the noble American worker need to compete with some poor disadvantaged guy from India or China? If American workers are losing their jobs to more qualified employees, how about they get their act together and develop some marketable skills? But that's not even a consideration. Go right to the government and demand a handout. More onerous laws to prevent companies from hiring the deserving candidates. Gigantic walls along the Rio Grande. Anything to prevent foreign workers from being able to compete fairly.

Disgraceful. If these losers can't hack it in the world economy, maybe we should set up a special welfare program for them. (Or maybe they should cut up some of their credit cards and start living within the means their limited skills can provide them.) But it makes me [censored] sick when all these whining rent-seekers try to clothe themselves in the mythology of the American Working Man. American industry became great because of competition, innovation, and hard work. The real American Working Man of legend was a productive, disciplined worker who just happened to be American. To hear people today, you'd think that it's a divinely-ordained law that every worthless drone born in Ohio or Illinois must have a cushy union job that pays him far out of proportion to the value of his labor. That sort of attitude is the real threat to the economic future of this country, not globalization.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:07 AM

Wow! Well I can't say I didn't expect this kind of response from some, but not the 1st one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So according to you this video shows how Americans just can't hack it?

The video states clearly that they are looking for any possible reason to disqualify American workers. This includes pay scale. So if the applicant has an annual salary request of $30k/year on his resume and they only want to pay $25k/year they automatically disqualify even though his/her other qualifications may make them a perfect candidate for that job. They may take the job at a lower pay scale if they really need the work.

edit: They also metion in the vid that they should not include the wage they are willing to pay in the general ad.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 AM

They're the ones looking to hire people, what business is it of yours how they decide whom to hire? What do you think should be done to them to make their hiring align with your desires?

Haven't watched the video yet.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 AM

A level playing field might be a good place to start.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 AM

I don't think you andwered either of my questions.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So according to you this video shows how Americans just can't hack it?

The video states clearly that they are looking for any possible reason to disqualify American workers. This includes pay scale. So if the applicant has an annual salary request of $30k/year on his resume and they only want to pay $25k/year they automatically disqualify even though his/her other qualifications may make them a perfect candidate for that job. They may take the job at a lower pay scale if they really need the work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think they're going through this sham job search? I'm guessing that almost always it's going to be because they have a brilliant prospect they want to hire. Maybe it's because the foreign worker will work for less. In either case, they have to show that ZERO Americans will show up and offer to do the job. Why on earth would you expect them to go all out to find a marginally acceptable American to displace their first-choice candidate? If the American workers really were the best for the job, companies would go out of their way to find and hire them. I don't want to oversimplify, but companies are going to hire the workers who will add the most value to their enterprise. If they're going out of their way to avoid hiring Americans, then yes, I'd say that shows the Americans can't hack it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Who cares? The companies shouldn't have to go through ANY idiot hoops before they look to immigrant workers. If they want to hire foreign workers and ignore U.S. workers, because of salary or whatever other reason, fine, let them. Don't buy the company's services if you don't like it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you andwered either of my questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's none of my business since I'm not applying for a job at one of their clients companies, but does that mean I can't have an opinion?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM

From Oops! You're racist by Maddox. I'll let the article speak for itself. I think it will generate some interesting discussion.