Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 04:54 PM

Default UTG w/ JJ minraised by BB, fold?

This is a live 2/3 game with $100 buy-in.
I've only been in the game for 2 rounds so no real reads on anyone.

I have about $150 and I pick up J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in UTG.
I raise to $15 and it's folded to BB.
BB has about $350 and minraises me to $30.

What should I do?

I decided to call here and the flop came
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB leads out for $35

Now what should my line be?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Re: UTG w/ JJ minraised by BB, fold?

you have to raise this. if not, he's going to fire every street. raise flop, check the turn through, call river bet.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM

Raise to 80
Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

The problem is I don't know what he has. I think that given my stack size, if I raise preflop, he's going to push with AA,KK,QQ, and even AK and possibly AQ. And then I believe I'm pot-committed against a range of hands I'm at best coin-flipping with. Is this not true?

I have more confidence in my postflop play (read: I suck at preflop play) so I thought I let the flop fall and evaluate again then.

But even (and especially) on the flop, any raise by me commits me to the pot (because it's most-likely close to an all-in).

It just seems I'm not deep-stacked enough to get enough information about the hand by the time I commit too many of my chips.

God, I hate jacks.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 PM

JJ for 50BB?

ARRRRRRR-IN on the flop.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:48 PM

yeah, that's kind of what I figured. The think the best flop to hope for with JJ is another J on the flop. The 2nd best flop is an uncordinated one with nothing higher than T.

So I pushed.
The guy tanked for a while mumbling to himself that I hit trips (at which point I knew I was beaten if he called).

He eventually called with KK. And another K came on the turn just to add insult to injury.

As soon as I decided not to fold preflop, I feel I'm pretty much committed unless overcards come on the board.
I hate JJ because I don't know how to categorize them preflop. If they were TT or lower, I could easily find a fold here against an unknown given the fact that he covers and he knows that I raised UTG. But with JJ, I'm a big donk.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments btw
Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM

just a tough break, but I think you have to go allin w/ 50BBs and no reads on an overpair to a safe board
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM

With your stack size I don't see how you can make any play other than all in on the flop. If called you are probably behind but I don't see what other options you have. On that flop and with that stack size JJ is just too good to throw away.

The main mistake is playing a game with such a horrible structure. I've never played live cash before - is a 33BB buy in standard? If so I just don't see how this allows any skilled player the opportunity to manouver in a hand like this.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:44 AM

Just a question, what were the stacksizes of these other fellows on your table? If most of them were less then 150 betting out 5x BB is a mistake in MHO, unless you read them for total morons (which you couldn't do because you just joined the table). And even bigger stacks barely have the odds (1:10) to go with small pairs. In your place I would have raised in the range 10-12 or just limped and played for setvalue. Now you have raised UTG to 5xBB. Seen from the BB you are an unknown, I put you on TT++, AK++ keeping in mind stacksize. I can only see him reraising at this point with AK, QQ, KK or AA; he is unknown, you can't be expecting him to play you at this point. 16 combo's you are ahead off, 36 combo's you are behind off + AK can improve to beat you. Of course you will stack off if you hit your JJ and he has an overpair, but you r odds of 1:10 aren't good themselves. It's a marginal spot so I advocate folding preflop, playing a middle stack is very treacherous.