Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Playing non-optimally to prepare for higher stakes

I'm currently playing .10/.25 and I'm doing pretty well. I'm going to do nothing but play poker over the summer and in preparation of that I've signed up for a six month cardrunners membership. I like watching the higher stakes videos but realise they are not that relevant to the play at micro limits. All the micro limit videos (especially the brystmar series) emphasise that playing a TAG style is best/most profitable while learning at these limits.

It is often mentioned in these videos however, that at higher limits you will get run over when playing such a tight style. Therefore I'm wondering whether it's a good idea to play somewhat looser (stealing with a very wide range, 3betting small pp's and sc's in position) as a sort of practice for the different play at higher stakes. I feel that it gives me a larger variety of postflop decisions to make and that this postflop experience will really pay off when I move up later. I'm currently playing a semi LAG 22/19 style and feeling pretty comfortable with it.

So my question is this: would it be better to play the style that is optimal for whatever level you're currently playing or is it wise to get used to a style that will be better suited to stakes you expect (hope) to play in the near future?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Playing non-optimally to prepare for higher stakes

if they people at the uNL are going to react like uNLers not higher stakes players, what value, on any level, would you get from playing like its high stakes?

also, pokey made a good post somewhere (stickies?) about moving up to the next level being about essentially bringing your old winning game and slowly adding alterations/improvements to your game.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Personally my style of play is only based on the players at my table, not the stakes that Im playing. I also play 25NL and play semi-tight aggressive style and it seems to work most of the time. However if Im at a table with laggy opponents I play much tighter and just wait for big hands. Against tight players I play much looser preflop and overall am more aggressive. I try to adapt as much as possible to my changing table, a skill which will be using at higher stakes too hopefully.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

My two cents...

I found very quickly after watching CR videos that my roll began to take a beating when I tried my new super-advanced high-tech moves against players who only look at their two cards and can't fold.

If you identify a 2+2er on your table, you can probably try some of these things against them, but against the bulk of players, I think you will find a lot of the stuff that Taylor and Co. do in their videos will be -EV for you.

The main key you *can* take away from the vids is playing positionally sound. Tight early, loose late.

One of the main things I'm working on in my game right now is trying to tone down the stuff I do that isn't ABC. As I look through my PT base, I find most of my leaks are related to recognizing weakness and trying to exploit, only to find that my opponent cannot/will not fold 2nd pair on the flush board I'm representing.

My advice (which by writing this I'm hopefully telling myself the same) is really to buckle down with some ABC poker. Nothing fancy. Build roll, and get experience. I am still watching the CR vids, but trying to extract info that is of use to uNL.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Get used to playing the style that is optimal for your level. The reason that people loosen up and 3-bet so much at the higher levels, is to widen hand ranges and make it much more difficult to put them on a hand. This won't generally work at uNL, because generally most villains at this level really don't think beyond their own 2 cards.

That being said, your image should be fairly flexible even at NL25, and you should adjust your table image to the villains that you are playing against....This goes back to the whole axiom, tight when loose, loose when tight...

If you really want to try this out, be prepared to drop a couple of buyins and play on a table that is heavy with regulars...They will be the people that you are most likely to profit with this style.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Play LAG if you have a fairly decent ability to read ranges on people and pick up tendencies of players. Playing TAG is great if you're a beginner because the decisions are easier to make post flop.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:56 PM

i agree - watching those high stakes vids are just gonna mess you up. just stick to these forums and continue to play your winning tag style and you should be good.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM

Being a nit like the teach you is the easiest way to learn. However, you can play more marginal situations and have a big variance. You should always have an idea why you are doing certain things. It can be even more profitable than the standard if you are very good and it is most certainly more educative. I would recommend it unless you want to be a microstakes nit for the rest of your life. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Here is the most basic difference between MEGA-BUCKS poker and NO-BUCKS poker. People don't understand position, thus the raising from the blinds without AA/KK/QQ is about as useless as a 1-legged man in a kicking competition.

As soon as you get to people that understand position and play sc's from the button then you can start 3-betting TJ, KQ etc. Whatever your heart desires because you can fold them out.

Nothing worse than playing a calling station oop!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM

I often get comments live and online about how tight I am and that I am a TAG player. True, it takes no skill to recognize a tight player at the table. It is just that at 50 NL and below people do not know how to adjust to your tight style. Shortstacks still limp call your raises OOP with 76s.