Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Default placed 3rd in a tourney, where should I go from here?

Hey there,

I won just over a grand by placing 3rd and to be honest I dont want to donk it away. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

According to my bankroll, $1k / 30 = Max $33 buyin with 30x 33 actual buyins.

Should I start off by playing NL20 (max 20 on the table)? See I also enjoy playing Cake Poker, which provides rakeback opposed to PokerStars.

Do you think moving my money to cake poker is smart? I suppose the rake back will provide me some motivation and satisfaction of playing low stakes.

I enjoy both tourney play and cash play. I just don't want to be stupid with this money. Don't worry I have some two plus two books I'm reading aswell.

Your comments are appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 AM

Default Re: placed 3rd in a tourney, where should I go from here?

What were you playing prior to this tournament?

Moving up because of a windfall if you're otherwise not ready isn't a very good idea.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:42 AM

I've played:

Fixed:
- .25/.50 to 2/4
- crazy 5/10 > 15/30 (actually built a previous roll from 300 to $2k and cashed)

NL
- NL20
- NL100 (and failed)

I realize how important bankroll is, but I find it hard to be disciplined, any helpful discipline ideas?

Thanks kindly!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize how important bankroll is, but I find it hard to be disciplined, any helpful discipline ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, just decide you're not going to be a chump...

$20NL to $100NL is a pretty freak'n big jump! No wonder you crashed and burned.

How many hands of $20NL have you played and at what win rate? Sounds like you should stick with $20NL, at most, until you're really ready to move up.

Or, you could be the next T3rminator4 and dance for our amusement...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:04 AM

I am not going to be a chump.

I admit I was foolish by jumping. I come here to correct my ways.

I have no data to provide so I guess my second step is to install a poker tracker.

I suppose the way I think about poker and money now is different than when I first donked away my cash.

More money paid into a game = bigger risk (because I can't afford to lose), complex emotions (I bet I'm 100x more likely to tilt in a NL100 or 200 than I am in a NL10 or 20).

Winning money is good money even if it's little. Losing money is a valuable lesson and still can be a good experience I find, as it will show you the concept of variance in your game over time (as long as it fits into your bankroll, of course). But if you play correct your variance should swing back up again, right?

This is what I'll do. For the next week I'm going to read No Limit theory and practice. Since I've self excluded my bankroll at pokerstars for 7 days I won't be tempted to be foolish with it.

I'll restrict my online play for 1hr a day, or one tournament a day, for sanity purposes.

Oh, what do you think about me multi-tabling the $20 max NL? Maybe 2 or 3 tables? That'll ease the dryness of staring at a slow moving game.

But anyways, one step at a time.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Well, look, lots of people play poker for fun and don't give a crap about the money. It's up to you to decide how seriously you're going to take it. But you did start by saying you don't want to just donk that cash away...

It's one thing to take shots if you're smart about it, but moving up too fast is a very, very good way to hit the road to bustoville.

As far as multi-tabling, I 12-table so I'm not about to discourage you. However, take it slow and add tables one at a time, making sure you don't get overwhelmed.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:49 AM

I was actually going to make a post similar to this one but ill just post here i geuss....

i just won 3k in a tourney (btw it wasnt the 15+1.50 on stars that just ended was it OP?) and am trying to figure out how high i want to step up...

I was beating .01/.02 pretty consistently for a good rate but couldnt put in enough hands/hours to grind up a roll for even 10NL. Im debating right now if i wanna just skip 10NL and move straight to 25NL. Anyways any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Thank you kindly for all your advice. I'll start off with 1-2 tables and not move up until I've mastered them.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:23 AM

techrush, it was the 15+1.50, but this was two nights ago.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM

I do believe that techrush was being facetious...

anyone who posts that they are slaying the 1c/2c tables can't be serious...