Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Showing Hand Quickly at Showdown = +EV

I learned a very important lesson this weekend -- I'm sure most of the long time live players already know this, but thought I'd pass it along to any new people:

Showing your hand quickly at showdown = +EV

At least in certain situations. The reason is that the other person in the hand may muck a better hand, or a split pot.

For instance:

$1/$2 NL -- $300 stacks -- player to my right is 60-ish yr old, not very good -- has called down with AK unimproved several times.

I am in MP w/ T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and raise it to $11 after it was folded around & the guy to my right had limped in. 2 other callers, and guy also calls.

Flop comes: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Guy checks. I bet $25. 2 folds. He calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Guy checks. I bet $75. He calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Guy thinks about betting for 20s, then checks. I quickly check, and turn up my 2 tens next to the river ten on the board. He mucks. My jaw drops, nobody says anything, the dealer pushes the pot my way.

I've thought that maybe adding a little extra emphatic "umph" to showing the cards might make it more likely the person folds? Not sure. Anybody have any techniques they use to try to get a split-pot hand (or even a better hand) to fold at showdown? This probably only works for the low $ games, though.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Showing Hand Quickly at Showdown = +EV

This is one of the rare instances where the players aren't all shouting that "it's a split pot, turn up your hand!!!". Not to mention some poor dealers will stop a player from mucking and say something to this effect.

Glad you had a table that knew to keep their mouths shut if not in the hand.

And yes, I've seen this quite often.
Had something similar happen today. Guy bets on the river, gets called, flips his cards up and says 2 pair, which he had. Board showed A Q J J 3 and he had 34. Other guy says "I have a queen only" and mucks. Ship the pot to the 34 guy and now the Q10 guy is bitching he said he had a queen and "showed it to the other players", which he did but he never tabled it. MUCKED!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Showing Hand Quickly at Showdown = +EV

I saw one better this weekend. The river brought a flush on the board and first to act guy mucked. Not checked, mucked.